Beet Pulp

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lesserweevil, Nov 14, 2007.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Mum said Whissy's looking a bit thin on her back... so... I was thinking of giving her some beet pulp (well, thinking of telling THEM to, seeing that I'm not there)

but I dont know about amounts... any suggestions?

and should I soak it, or leave it dry?

Any other suggestions for building her up - she gets TONS of grain!

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Bet pulp works well.I give it dry mixed in with feed.

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

she doesn;t need much, about three cups over her grain. Depending on what kind you get will depend on if you need to soak it or not. If its the pellets yes you will need to soak it. Because it expands when it gets wet. and you don;t want it expanding on her stomach. It can kill her.
    There is another form that is shredded or something, i can;t remember what they call it. This kind shouldn't need to be soaked.
    beth

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    we use it with horses to.

5. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I have used bp before also. I just used up the last bag and will not be wasting my money on it any longer. We got two extremely dusty bags in a row...and i do mean they were REALLY dusty.

BP its good stuff. I used it to get weight on horses before. :D works great.

6. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i use beet pulp all the time. my milkers get a cup in with there grain twice aday. if you get the shrreded with molasses you don't have to soak it & it is not as dusty. i mix mine with alfalfa pelletts to put weight on them. i do not givr it to my bucks.

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I was told beet pulp thins goats down so do not give to thin goats. Its good for milk production though.

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have never heard that before. We always give it to out thin goats and we used to give it to the horses. I give it mainly during winter time when the goats are mostly eating hay. More carbs in the diet. Ut always helps my animals gain weight. You need to be carful giving it to kids and bucks as it does have a lot of sugar in it.
    beth

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    According to the late Harvey Considine, BP actually helps slim down fat does, not put weight on goats.
    When we first got our Saanen doe Proxy, she was extremely fat. All summer we fed her soaked beet pulp. When we first got her, when I hugged her heart girth, I couldn't even touch my fingers at her chest. The the end of the summer, I could clasp my hands, that's how much weight she lost :shock:
    We feed barley to our skinny does and that works great for weight management.

10. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    thanks guys. I think my neighbour has the pelleted stuff, so I'll get them to soak it. I guess I'll just get em to give em a large handful in her grain or something.

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

wow thats odd, because i have had totally oppisite results with both horses and goats. I wonder if it hasy something to do with the amount fed?
    and if its supplimented with other things or not? how much pasture and hay they get?

beth

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    IDK, Proxy was fed like a gallon container thing soaked, no grain, she had minerals, free choice hay and pasture, she didn't exercise much at all.........

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

that could be it, we use the beet pulp as just a filler. They only get about three measuring cups a day, along with alfafa pellets whole oats and BOSS. They have free choice orchard grass and minerals, and of course pasture and water.
    beth

14. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    i feed beet pulp to my bucks in rut and it eeps them from getting raggedy thin.
    any goat that needs some extra weight gets beet pulp here.
    i have not tried it on my more heavier goats. :roll:

15. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Are you feeding it dry or wet? Harvey Considine said wet in his book for fat goats, he didn't say anything about dry, but he said don't feed it to skinny goats. hmmm..... We feed barley to our bucks in rut, keeps them in good shape.

16. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  17. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i get the pelleted dtuff, its the only kind my feed store sells. so i soak it. If you feed the pellets dry it expands in their stomach. I actually had a doe get into the grain roon one year and she got into dry beet pulp. It espanded in her stomach and i later lost her. I don't know how much she ate. A lot more then her fair share.
    If you feed the shreds you don't have to feed it wet. i usually make a few days worth at a time. If you make much more then that it will get moldy. Put a lit6tle beet pulp in a bucket and then just enough water to cover it. It takes a few hours to set. if you put your hand in and still feel pellets add a but more water. My goats like it pretty dry. I have a friend who puts so much water on it its like soup. And her goats love it that way. they slurp it up...literly.

beth

18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Just agreeing with the others, I use it also. I feed it soaked in warm water on the really cold days. They love it.

19. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    I have fed it to my horses to fatten them with out gettin them goofy from so much grain. It is supposed to have more nutrients then hay, but less than grain. I believe you need to watch the calcium, phosphorous ration though. I have mixed together bp pellets and alfalfa pellets to halp balance that when feeding the horses grass hay. you would have to check, not sure there, just remember it wsa a concern.
    My advice for thin goats already getting grain is to run a fecal to see what sort of parasite load they are supporting.

20. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    or I could just nab some whole sugar beets off my neighbour and let Whissy sharpen her teeth on 'em...