Beet Pulp

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by hphorses, Jan 23, 2011.

1. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    Do any of you feed beet pulp to your goats? and if you do do you soak it first?

2. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    We use shredded beet pulp - no molasses in our mix that I give the goats a couple times a week. The mix I do for the wethers has a little more than the girls since they don't get any grain.

I have to make sure to ask for the "shredded no molasses" kind where I am located since it seems that folks at the feed stores will automatically pull the kind with molasses.

We do not soak it first.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I was giving it to my buck in late summer/early fall to get his weight up...I did soak it first as he seemed to be able to chew it better.

4. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    We feed it to all of our goats - dry, shredded - mixed with their grain. They shouldn't get more than 1/3 of their feed from beet pulp as it can interfere with Vitamin B production (can't remember where I read that...)

5. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    Oh ok interesting! I add it to my sr horses feed to help with their fiber intake so was curious about the goats... all I can get here is in pelleted form so not sure if you can feed that to them dry or not.. It's not really a big deal they don't need it though, I was just curious!

6. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    My girls really like it but they can't chew the pellets very easy, so I do soak that if I have to feed the pellets. They definitely prefer the dry shreds over the wet pellets.

7. alpinemom

alpinemom New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Waldoboro, ME
    I feed (dry)shredded beet pulp to both does and bucks on top of their grain, they love it. My milkers get a mix of beet pulp, black oil sunflower seed, cracked corn and milker pellets on the milkstand along with their grain. I have excellent results with that mix. My kids start getting it at 3 mos I like to make sure their rumen is working before giving them too much. Haven't had any problems yet
    :whatgoat:

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I feed dry beet pulp pullets. Makes them take a little longer to eat. he he he

But i never feed soaked cause God forbid if their grain is wet they wont touch it. Spoiled is what they are! :angel2:

9. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I was thinking about getting some beet pulp for my doe that just kidded and a couple of others who are due to kid at the end of Feb.

What's a good price for beet pulp? I've never looked into buying it although it has crossed my mind.

And how much do you give an adult boer who is nursing? She's dropped off a lot of weight since kidding <she was all baby!>, doesn't care for alfalfa pellets anymore, gets a good amount of grain every day divided up into 2 feedings, free choice mix grass, and I settle her and her twins in with some really good alfalfa each night.

10. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    I give my milker dry pellets mixed in with her grain. She loves them and they have really helped her maintain weight.

I don't feed much, about a cup a day to the skinny milk machine.