The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are getting two adult wethers (1.5-2 yrs old) that have been fed soaked beet pulp by the previous owners each day instead of grain. Is this a better option than grain? I'm also not sure if we switch them to grain right away if it will be a shock to their system. We have only fed bottle babies up to this point, but are waiting for the book "Diet for wethers" to arrive. I would like to hear any opinions or experiences with this, thanks!

·
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, we got these boys yesterday and one of them definitely overweight. They are almost two and are getting 1 cup of soaked beet pulp mixed with one cup of black oil sunflower seeds twice a day! Again, any advice would be great!

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
We use beet pulp for the older wethers who need extra calories. It is a llittle high in calcium but if they are only getting grass hay it's not a problem. For the guys with bad teeth wwe soak it, othersie we just feed it right in the manger. Clay Zimmerman does this also.

I sure wouldn't feed it to a goat with a weight problem as it's pretty high calory stuff.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I saw Clay at the state fair with a couple of his goats. I was walking with two canes at the time. A couple friends at work invited me to go hiking up to Goat Lake in Idaho. I suggested we rent Clay's goats for the trip, and we began planning. Then the market crashed and we had layoffs, but by spring I was so anxious to go when the others canceled out, that I bought my first babies and started hiking every week.

·
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I stopped the beet pulp because one of them was really overweight when we got them. He's been on pasture, browse, and a little grass hay when rainy and I can't believe how much weight he seems to have lost in 3 weeks. He even seems like a new goat. He has started to run around and play like a kid now, which he never did before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts