Before and After: Copper Miracle

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Woody_Glen_Farm, May 4, 2014.

1. Woody_Glen_Farm

Woody_Glen_Farm New Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Asheville, NC
    My Nigerian Dwarf buck Earl arrived at my farm in the fall with serious mineral deficiencies. Attached are pics before and 3 months after giving him 6 grams of COWP (copper oxide wire particles). He also had dry itchy flaky skin and so he was on a handful of black oil sunflower seeds every day as well. He's hardly recognizable now from back then! I thought he was blonde but he's very red! The only red he had on him when I got him was his feet and his beard. And no, I didn't shave him!

Attached Files:

2. Amazing! My gold doe started to get a lot of white hairs,too, before it finally got on the copper regime. Your boy looks great now!

Sent from my iPad using Goat Forum

3. Woody_Glen_Farm

Feb 22, 2014
    Asheville, NC
    Not only is he deep shiny red, he's soft too!

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

4. Chadwick

Chadwick New Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Volant PA
  5. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    That's awesome! Now he not only looks better, he'll be more productive and fertile too.. :)

6. audrey

audrey New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Lebanon, Oregon
    Wow! He looks amazing now!

7. Woody_Glen_Farm

Feb 22, 2014
    Asheville, NC
    He's actually copper-colored now lol!!

8. DMSMBoers

DMSMBoers New Member

Dec 22, 2013
    Southwest Missouri
    WOW!! That doesn't even seem like the same buck. He looks great an prolly feels a lot better as well.

9. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    What a change! Gotta love the change when you add copper to a defecient diet!

10. rebelINny

rebelINny Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    That's awesome! I noticed my black haired does went from red tinged hairs to solid sleek black as well. Copper is awesome for the goats!

11. MrsSneelock

MrsSneelock New Member

Jun 14, 2013
    Northern California
    I saw the same change in my goats too, a few years back. It actually makes me wonder if I should copper bolus MYSELF. Maybe get rid of some of the gray hairs here and there..

12. LaurieW

LaurieW Member

Sep 23, 2013
    Tennessee
    Wow, what a transformation. We just gave our herd copper bolus. One doe had fish tail and had not realized how much our wether had changed in color. One doe gave us a fight and broke the capsules. It looked like 3/4 of the contents came out inside her mouth (in the yogurt). We were using yogurt in a bolus gun to get it down. I gave her a 4 g adult and then a 2 g kid. I was going to give her 2-4 weeks to improve and then if no change I would try another 2 g. Does that sound okay/safe? I do not want to overdo it, but want her to be healthy.

13. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

Nice....I see the same results with copper bolusing :) He looks great!

14. FarmerJen

FarmerJen New Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Skagit County, WA
    Wow... I may start upping the copper as well. My larger doe has very flaky skin. She did last spring too, and I know part of it is seasonal... but none of them are terribly "soft"... all a bit wiry. I bolused in Feb, but only 2g each. Perhaps I can go more frequent than every 6mo if I only use 2g? Or should I just be giving a higher dosage? I have ND's and ordered the "kid" boluses.

I've yet to find an easy way to give them though. Bread or marshmallows work well for my larger goat... but my littler two must chew their food better - or have better sniffers, or something. They find it no matter what I do. And trying to get it down their throats without their cooperation (and with no human help) is not likely to be effective.

15. Cedar Point Kikos

Cedar Point Kikos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    Now I'm wondering if Mocca is deficent in copper...he's loosing color. And the other goats don't have real soft coats. Where do you get copper? (In Ontario, Canda)

16. Woody_Glen_Farm

Feb 22, 2014
    Asheville, NC
    It's safe to give Nigerian Dwarfs 4 grams (he got 6 grams) every three months. My understanding is it slowly dissolves in their system so they can't overdose. Also, I don't try to bolus mine-- I simply open the capsules and put it on some grain (preferably sweet feed because it's a little sticky). Each goat gets their own so you can check and see if it all is eaten. No problems so far. They all EAT IT RIGHT DOWN. Some people put it in bananas or grapes but if they'll eat it in the grain, that's the easiest!

17. Woody_Glen_Farm

Feb 22, 2014
    Asheville, NC
    For Earl's dry skin, I also started feeding him black oil sunflower seeds and that improved his skin and coat as well. I give him a big handful every night. Also when his skin was really bad itchy itchy and flaky, I rubbed some grape seed oil into his coat to relieve some of the dryness. Don't even know whether it was the BOSS, the oil, or just the copper that healed his skin but it worked!

18. chelsboers

chelsboers Senior Member

Mar 24, 2010
    SE Kansas
    I don't think it's fair to give copper all the credit. No doubt it helped but it sounds like your extra TLC helped him a great deal. :)

19. Woody_Glen_Farm

Feb 22, 2014
    Asheville, NC
    Certainly his color would not have been drastically effected by sunflower seeds and skin oil. It is well known that faded coats are a sign of copper deficiency.

20. chelsboers

chelsboers Senior Member

Mar 24, 2010
    SE Kansas
    I know copper helps, I give Boluses to all my goats also. The red ones and black ones always seem to need to most. I'm not arguing the importance of copper, just saying that the improvement in overall nutrition helps also