The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to start this to pass some random musings to the younger generation on here. I know you have heard the blah, blah, blah about our "pre-web" life, I just had a little "holy cow" moment. Please excuse my ramblings.
I was on another thread didn't know something, so I Googled it, and posted the information I found. To all of you growing up in the digital age, this is an expected action with expected results.
If we were pre-Windows 95 it would have been drastically different. The least time consuming, so therefore, easiest way to research would be to go in the de, living room, study, or where ever the encyclopedias were kept, get the volume you hoped to find it in, and read about said subject. Sometimes all that you found was the word you were looking for and a notation to look in another volume or two. This chase could get the answer for you, if not........
Time to go to the library. If school was in session, no problem, find it tomorrow in school library. Tomorrow came, not allowed by any teachers to make special trip to library. Library day two days ago, wait until next week. Next week. Library day. With help from library assistant, then librarian, searching through all reference books; dictionaries, encyclopedias, yearly updates to encyclopedias. Yay. Found answer. If not....
Plan trip to public library so someone can drive you. Saturday available. Go to public library and ask assistance from librarian. Give her list of reference books that you have looked through, or not and do same thing in same books as before, then start digging for the information. Spent all day saturday looking for information and found answer. Or not, all you found was addresses to a number of veterinary schools to write to.
A week and a half researching an article you read in a magazine. The search was futile, even though you got phone number and addresses of places to answer your questions, could not call because long distance phone calls cost too much and all of those stamps and envelopes, while inexpensive, were still out of the price range of a school age person.

·
Super Moderator
59,901 Posts
I typed all my papers on a typewriter through high school. Public library, school library and home encyclopedias were the go to's for knowledge. It really is amazing how technology has changed in my lifetime. Only had black and white TV with rabbit ears and you had to get up to change the channel.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I typed all my papers on a typewriter through high school. Public library, school library and home encyclopedias were the go to's for knowledge. It really is amazing how technology has changed in my lifetime. Only had black and white TV with rabbit ears and you had to get up to change the channel.
You had me laughing at get up to change channel. Before we got a remote control tv, some friends of my son came over and could not find the "buttons".lol We had to show him how the channel selector knob worked.
Did you ever get up early on saturday mornings to watch cartoons, and you got up too early? No tv stations on air yet. All three stations had that target looking screen up there.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,077 Posts
A few years ago, middle grandson was here for a sleepover and tried to change channels with the remote and nothing was happening. Watching out of my side eye and trying really hard not to chuckle out loud; he pointed here, moved to a new spot and pointed there. Nothing he did changed the channel. Finally, he told me the television wasn't working. Suggested the batteries might be dead in the remote and went to get a couple to change them out with. No batteries in that size, and I saw a look close to panic come across his face. "But, Nana how are we going to change channels?!!" I showed him where the volume and channel buttons were located on the television and little guy says so sincerely, "I've seen those buttons before and wondered what they were for."

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hahaa this is going to be a good thread.
We never wore seatbelts, never ate fast food or cereal with sugar because that was saved for a couple times a year.
It was corn flakes and Cheerios, if my dad was feeling a little spicy we could get frosted shredded wheat. For a special treat we could have saltines with peanut butter while we watched Mutual of Omaha. My mother had a massive garden and canned everything. We were farm to table before it was a thing. All clothes were hung on the line. And info or advice needed was answered by asking all the farmers locally where we visited to get our milk out of their milk tanks with big glass jugs. I still feel young at 51 but when I tell my 6 year old grandson he can have 15 min on my iPad and then we have to play. And I explain to him we didn’t have iPads when I was growing up nor did his mother, his gasping and shocking question is “Whaaaaat did you do!!!”
Does make me feel older then 51:)
But I wouldn’t change a thing about any of it, it was the best life.
One more thing does anyone remember making paper Christmas trees out of catalogs or magazines?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hahaa this is going to be a good thread.
We never wore seatbelts
One more thing does anyone remember making paper Christmas trees out of catalogs or magazines?
Cars didn't have seatbelts until about 1964. So until one of those newer cars could be affordable, no seatbelts.lol
Never made ornaments from magazines. I can remember making ornaments from the tops and bottoms of tin cans. Seven years old a pair of tin snips and being told to be careful. So overprotective parents were back then! lol

·
8,476 Posts
My favorite topic; Days of my youth!!!

Rotary phones. I still have one, hooked up in the house! It's the only one that works if there is a power failure!
One day (lots of days actually) I left the cell in the barn. I hate phones and never remember to carry it. Anyway, had to run to town, 20 min. away. Had car trouble and looked for a pay phone! They are all gone! Not one pay phone anywhere. Wow!

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Yep. I remember my kids guest needed to phone home back in 1998 and couldn't figure out how to use the rotary dial phone. I also remember my big splurge at Christmas time in 1975 was talking long distance on the phone to my mom. My Christmas conversation cost me 30$. A lot of money back then.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,077 Posts
I made Christmas Trees out of magazines, using the same folded corner method and a little tweaking turned them into angels that had a paper ball head. Have gone to the library many times to get use of a computer for an hour or read through reference books. Have had Wi-Fi for 3 years now and so enjoy having the wealth of information literally right at my finger tips. I also grew up garden to table. We grew tobacco and once in a while cotton on a family farm containing great grandparents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, and cousins living on the same piece of property. Shared not only the work, we shared the bounty as well. Going to town once in a blue moon was such an anticipated treat. It was the best life ever.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,077 Posts
Am really enjoying this post. 8 track, cassette and records for music. Heard my first music on CD in 1984. I am starting to believe it is true when the grand's tell me I live in the stone age. Gee, how old do they think I am? Have not ever listened to an Ipad, owned a smart phone or blue ray. Don't have cable or all those many other paid television offerings. Have plain every day local programming. Still rely on a land line telephone. I grow a lot of my own food and will can or freeze the bounty for winter. I hand stitch, sew with a machine, knit, crochet and quilt. Cook from scratch most of the time. My life is simple and easy going. The most technology advance thing for me is Wi-Fi and the tablet I am using right now. Much to the puzzlement of my son, I have no desire to change. Once in a while, I get the opportunity to introduce and teach the grandchildren how things were done in the "olden days" and you would be amazed at how much they enjoy and marvel at the way it use to be.

·
Super Moderator
14,772 Posts
I don’t think I’m considered old yet lol (34) but did grow up without a whole lot of money with very old fashioned parents. I was 1 of 4 so all 6 of us would cram into a single cab bench seat when we went places. When my grandma gave my mom her pickup with a camper shell that was the best thing ever so we actually had room in the back lol my dad was a logger and I wasn’t a typical logger brat. We all went out and helped set chokers and had us kids had hatchets and would help limb (I think it was just to keep us busy and put of trouble/ danger). For fun when we were not allowed to help (usually because it was too dangerous for us) our fun time was turning the water tank on and playing in the mud. We made little shops that we collected cool things we would find and used pine needles as money.
I didn’t get the internet till I was 18, still hardly understand any electronics lol.
The encyclopedias, yes!!! I remember having to pull those out for any report I had for school. I have both my moms and my grandmas now! When I tell my kids all the stuff we did as kids they think it was all awesome. At the time I hated most of it lol but looking back I am happy I was raised like that. My poor kids ask me a question about anything technology and I am clueless lol I think a lot of what we or even people older then me learned and did was pretty cool so I say try and remember and tell your kids and grand kids about it. I always loved hearing my grandmas stories. She was always getting hurt and my great grandparents were farmers in Arizona (they actually owned most of where Mesa is), anyways to keep her from getting hurt or In trouble they used to tie a string onto her hand and then onto the clothes line and leave her there while they worked lol could anyone imagine that now a days?? Speaking of clothes lines I still use one! Nothing beats a free dryer!

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I still use a landline and I don't own a cell phone. I try to avoid even using my cordless phone because I leave it places and can't remember where I put it. The only safe phone for me is one that's hooked to the wall by a cord!

The glaring lack of pay phones sure makes things awkward when I need to use a phone when I'm not home though. I few years ago I went out to buy a buck and the lady gave me incomplete directions to her house. After driving around aimlessly for half an hour, I stopped at a gas station to use the phone. I ended up having to borrow the cashier's cell phone. He seemed very reluctant and I got a lot of strange looks from customers in the store. Turns out I didn't even know how to use a touch screen and had to have him dial the number for me.

I've never sent a text or taken a selfie. My camera doesn't have a phone attached to it. I still get paper bank statements, and I refuse to pay bills online. I don't have a Facebook account. Even so, I am definitely something of an internet junkie! I can't imagine being more "connected". I'd never get anything done.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am 26, we have a landline phone with no caller id just a phone.No cell phone for me. We use the fence line to dry clothes here as it gets the most sunlight. we only have a washing machine no dryer. We live without TV and I cook almost all of my meals from scratch, right now its eggs from our chickens kale from the garden and acorn squash from our garden, i am soon to get a glass of buttermilk.
Id say i am very interested in how the world was working before the industrial revolution.

I have a 86 year old friend who grew up in germany and he tells me of his childhood Antics and boy did it sound like fun. in the winter waiting for the milk man to go by on his horse and sled and latching on and going for a ride with the milk man as a young boy.... wow that must of been fun.

If you want to live the old ways there is definitely no one stopping you!

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think that the only reason we use cell phones now is from when I was over the road truck driver. It was much cheaper to talk cell to cell than cell to landline. We cut out the expense by getting rid of landline. We still have our rotary dial phone, just no service.

·
8,476 Posts
I don't have Facebook. And our internet is dial up! But, that's ok.
When cable first came out, it was commercial free. Since I don't have time to watch TV, I have no idea how many commercials are on.
Back in 1963, my uncle had a convertible. I have a photo (Polaroid of course!) of my year old cousin in the back seat of the car, in a car seat. (Sounds good so far, right?). Well, the car seat only hooked over the back seat. No seatbelt to hold it in! And no strap to hold the baby in the car seat! That was normal....

We used to sleep in the back of the car, up by the back window on the shelf. Most kids did, on long trips. 2 kids on the floor, 1 on the back seat and one in the window.

As a teenager, after morning chores were done, I took off on my horse. I'd be gone all day. No one ever worried. We (horse and I) swam, went camping, jumped stuff. Had a great time. My horse was my best friend.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also traveled floor, seat and rear deck. Child on rear deck had it bad, cloud of cigarette smoke from parents stayed up there.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Change channel? Do you mean to switch on and off the television set? We were happy to get one, state produced, television channel. In the radio, though, there were two channels. All these lacked the "benefit" of commercials!

Polaroid and colour photos were novelties that my older brother (now dead) introduced to our family, but oh, how expensive! Not for everyday use!

Here we have no dial-up any more, to my sorrow. Much more reliable technique. The land lines (cupper) are not available everywhere, much to the (what is the opposite of 'benefit'? Malefit??) to those who don't endure wireless...

So there are things stopping me from living like before. But so far I have managed to avoid Facebook, whose rules I have actually read ... Yes, I am so old, that I actually READ the terms before I sign anything! (blush)

Concerning life in older times, I may return to suggesting some of my favourite books: "The Emigrants", four thick volumes by Wilhelm Moberg, and "Emil in Lönneberga" by Astrid "Pippi Longstocking" Lindgren. Yes, I know, I have written this before, but, you know how forgetful we old people are! ;)

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I don't have Facebook.
As a teenager, after morning chores were done, I took off on my horse. I'd be gone all day. No one ever worried. We (horse and I) swam, went camping, jumped stuff. Had a great time. My horse was my best friend.
Love this. Sounds so much like me. I used to take my horse and ride up to the top of the Continental Divide (over 13,000 feet elevation and above timberline). I'd be gone all day and no one ever worried. My horse and I didn't swim much--too cold in our alpine lakes, but we jumped the canoes along the lake shore. I owned a horse for four years before I got my first saddle, and by that time I wondered why I needed one!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Me too! No Facebook for me either.

I had 2 ponies at the age of 6. They were my Christmas presents. Ginger and Honey god bless em as my family had no clue on anything equine. But they survived on love and good luck! Saved my own $ and bought my first horse at 15 and never looked back. My parents never even asked where I was going, only because back then you didn’t. I’d give them the general direction and say I’ll be back by lunch or dinner.
I rode in local parades I’d ride all over on our back roads. I even got together with friends and we would ride all day to each other’s houses taking back roads, spend the night and ride back the next day. No cell phones to keep in touch we never packed food or water. Just rode and had fun. Thankfully as I got older I was blessed enough to start educating myself with good trainers, horse clinics and become friends with good people. Then I realized what I truly didn’t know about riding and horse care. It’s been a great joy learning!

I have 2 brothers and I can remember when 10 speeds became popular and we each got one. Man we were
big stuff!
Like I said
They were the best times. ;)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.