Being away from my goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Suellen, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    I am going to visit my sister and new niece in California for a week. It has been years since I have been away
    for more than one or two days. I have a live-in ranch hand (Brigette) and she is wonderful with the animals.
    My job is taking care of the animals my husbands job is making the goat cheese. Brigette stays at her moms on
    the weekend. My husband has never taken complete care of the 18 goats, 2 chickens and 4 dogs. The most he
    has done is milk the 6 goats and help me by asking what needs to be done? I am leaving details about cleaning
    stalls, which goats go in which stall, how much to feed the goats, chickens and dogs. I know that he knows how
    to feed himself. LOL
    There is part of me that wishes I could be a fly on the wall and watch him do this.
    My goats are going to walk all over him.
    :laugh: :devilish:
    Suellen

2. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I know what you mean. I do all the animal stuff but when I go away, my husband takes over. Up until a couple weeks ago, I only had the 4 dogs. Now I have 3 goats and 9 chickens. It will be interesting to see how he manages when I go away next time.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You are VERY lucky! My goats are MY goats, DH has nothing to do with them....he'll feed IF I absolutely cannot be here to do it...milking is also not an option for him, I had minor lap surgery back in June and milked that evening, if I can walk and move, I do it, if not then I know my best goat buddy Steph will milk for me.

4. melb1

melb1 New Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    If they are anything like my human kids, they will be absolute angels for him! They can be hard work all day but know how to behave for their Dad. It's so frustrating sometimes.

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have been out of town visiting with my kids and grandbabies this past week.....I fly home tomorrow and who knows what I'll find when I get back to the farm.......I know they have all been fed and watered, but just got off the phone with hubby and he informed me that the coops and the goats pens are getting "yucky".......Lord have Mercy!

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Be sure to leave him with instructions... on how much to feed of this and that.....When you feed..... .and what to look for... if they get sick.....So he can call you or an emergency number....ect........ :wink: :thumb:

7. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    I have a 4' x 7' dry erase white board that I mounted on the wall in our tack room. Any time we leave, which is quite often, I can leave detailed instructions on the wall for who ever is taking care of the animals for us. I think I may have our animals spoiled a bit though. I have always fed our animals in a certain order. They seem to understand that and will, believe it or not, wait their turn. They know when they are next it seems. Thats how we do it. The dry erase board is a great tool. I would recommend it to anyone who has multiple animals to feed. When you open the feed box and there are 10 different feed bags staring at you it is easy to get confused if you don't do it everyday.

my $.02

Tom