Being paranoid.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Crissa, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Okay Lyrae is eating fine and everything, but she was panting like crazy today, she wouldn't even willingly get on the milk stand and she loves getting on it. She also had some hair missing on the right side of her udder and the inside of that leg. Should I worm her again and see if it helps? Any other suggestions?

P.S.
    Her udder is doing great. :wink:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    How warm is it there? has there been a drastic weather change? Did the panting start after the first dose of her mastitis meds? Have you taken her temp?

4. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    It got up to 70 today. (it felt like 80 to me) The panting started yesterday, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as today, hence why I didn't mention it. And no it didn't start after the mastitis meds, I'll be taking her temp tomorrow. (just had to buy a new thermometer at the store)

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    how is she?....I thought about it.. if she doesn't have a temp...I think it is because ..she isn't use to the warmer temps you said it was 70 degrees?...that is warm compared to the the cold temps we've been having....My goats do that at the beginning of a warm up ...until they adjust to it.... :wink:

6. eliya

eliya New Member

My does always start panting whenever they lie down toward the end of their pregnancy. They just don't have as much room for their lungs! It sounds hot, so that could set off the panting too.

7. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Okay she's back to normal today. No panting. It must have been the temp. change. :) But what about the hair loss on the right side of her udder and leg?

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    not sure about the hair loss -- seems to be a commom problem these days - goats loosing hair

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    when was the last time you wormed her and what did ya use?

..maybe powder her or spray her for lice...I think they are Biting Lice, they eat hair debri ..ect
    how is her skin, is it smooth or scabby/raw ?

It could also be Sucking Lice depending what her skin may look like , but it wouldn't hurt to worm her again .....depending on when ya wormed her last.

10. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I'm pretty sure I wormed her at the beginning of January or the very end of December. I used a horse wormer......I can't remember what it was though! I don't think it was Safeguard (I think that's the one I used before the last one) Ack! Where is my goat book when I need it! (this is what happens when I clean my room, I lose everything) I'll find it and let you know.

Her skin is smooth, no blemishes that I have seen or felt. (maybe a little dry but not bad)

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    dust or powder her for lice......it should help..... :greengrin: