Bella has QUADS today (new pic added)

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by Thunderhill, Feb 7, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    fecundity is on the doe's side though :wink:

2. Thunderhill

Thunderhill New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    North Alabama
    But she needs happy healthy little swimmers

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    true

what was your feeding routine at the time of joining? Did you flush feed?

What was their condition score at joining?

CIDRs alone will not increase fecundity.

4. Thunderhill

Thunderhill New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    North Alabama
    Nope I didn't flush feed. They stay on pasture year round, so it wasn't suddenly introduced, and I don't increase their grain amounts during breeding...they would get too fat. There was quite a bit of green during breeding season.
    They get free choice bermuda hay, alfalfa pellets, and minerals. I feed a high protien pellet mixed with oats,barley,and BOSS once a day. I increase the amounts for lactating does.
    I try to keep the body score at 3, but I have to watch a couple of them so they don't go up to 4

5. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    very cute. How can pictures of baby goats be anything but cute. Suellen

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Wow, now I have to say I am impressed and also stumped. You managed two quads and one quints without super-ovulation drugs, flush feeding or drastically increasing CS. In your situation you technically should be having twins and trips. :greengrin:

Congrats, and enjoy those babies :greengrin:

7. Thunderhill

Thunderhill New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    North Alabama
    I am as stumped as you

8. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    How close are your bucks? Can the girls smell them? If your girls can smell the boys they will start release more eggs with every heat till they are breed. Shelly

9. Thunderhill

Thunderhill New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    North Alabama
    Yep, they can smell them!! EUREKA! Thanks for this info.
    We have a friend about an hour away and her first two does kidded this week...both with quads. No CIDRS involved

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yeesh! I am glad I am far far way!

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Hmmm. That is interesting. Our buck is fairly close to the does and they can smell him. We almost always have triplets, rarely twins. . . . that is pretty interesting.

Keren: Nigerians are very prolific breeders -- quads and quints are very, very common with the breed. :) Pretty cool but a lot of work!!

12. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    My buck pen too is right next to the does. That's normally how I find out who's in heat. The does plaster themselves to the fence and the bucks are blubbering from their side. They share about a 25 foot section. Hot wire on the bucks side to make sure they don't get too interested in visiting.

I did get two sets of quads last year and we did get three sets of triplets but everything else was twins and singles.