The Goat Spot Forum banner

Bella's Scouring and Has 104.2* Fever

1582 Views 42 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  toth boer goats
My doe, Bella started developing clumpy poops last night, but she's been having that symptom on and off since she kidded so I didn't think anything of it. This morning she is all out scouring and she has a temperature of 104.2 degrees. She is acting completely normal other than she did want any of her grain this morning, but she is eating hay and grazing on pasture. I gave her 6cc of vitamin b complex, probios, tummy tammer, I set out a bucket of electrolytes (which she is enjoying) and I put out some baking soda. I'm about to give her a bunch of garlic cloves. I also sent my dad out for some dark beer. Would you recommend doing an antibiotic at this point? I have penicillin on hand, but I'd rather not open it if I don't have to because of the impending Rx nature of it, but if you think I should, I certainly will. I also have banamine, but I figured I should only do that if she starts acting off.

I'll get back to you on FAMACHA. I totally forgot to check that.

P.s. I discovered a Tummy Tamer hack. If I don't add any water to it, I can form it into balls and my does will take it willingly without having to drench it. Win!
  • Like
  • Love
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Love the tummy tamer hack! That鈥檚 a good idea!
@happybleats @GoofyGoat
  • Like
Reactions: 5
A fecal for worms and cocci is wise.

Stress can cause both.

When did she kid? If it has been under 2 weeks, check for a uterine infection.
Put on a new surgical glove and gently with the tip of your finger only, insert it , then do the sniff test. Does it stink?
If so, she has an infection. PenG is a good choice.

Other than that, she may have pneumonia starting. Listen to her lungs.

She definitely has something going on with her temp being high.
She does need antibiotics.

Recheck her temp and make sure the thermometer is working properly.
Or she hasn鈥檛 been running around or in direct sun prior to taking it.
See less See more
  • Like
Reactions: 4
A fecal for worms and cocci is wise.

Stress can cause both.

When did she kid? If it has been under 2 weeks, check for a uterine infection.
Put on a new surgical glove and gently with the tip of your finger only, insert it , then do the sniff test. Does it stink?
If so, she has an infection. PenG is a good choice.

Other than that, she may have pneumonia starting. Listen to her lungs.

She definitely has something going on with her temp being high.
She does need antibiotics.

Recheck her temp and make sure the thermometer is working properly.
Or she hasn鈥檛 been running around or in direct sun prior to taking it.
She kidded in January so it's not that. I checked her FAMACHA and it looks maybe a little paler than normal, but my herd generally has paler FAMACHA's so I'm not totally sure. I'll run a fecal. I will check her temp again too and listen to her lungs. What would I be listening for when I do that? Just anything abnormal?

So would you recommend penicillin for this or would LA200 be better? I have that too.
  • Like
Reactions: 2
You could recheck her temp. If it remains higher than normal..yes start antibiotics. Or if anything else at all seems off..then yes. Either choice is ok...I might lean toward penicillin
I Love the tummy tamer hack too!!
  • Like
Reactions: 5
I just rechecked it and it's come down a bit. It's only 103.7* now. I tried listening to her lungs, but I couldn't hear anything other than her heart. Am I just not doing it right, or does that mean her lungs sound good?

The fact that she is just acting normal makes me want to lean towards just holding off on the antibiotics. I just had a similar thing happen with another doe, the only difference being she didn't have a fever so I sorta just want to wait. This is a tough decision, but I think that's the route I want to go. 馃槵 They've been eating a lot more green grass than usual so maybe it's that. It's also a warmer day than we've had all year and she is a black goat.... I'll check her temp again in a few hours and make my decision then. If you think that's a bad idea, tell me. I've never delt with a goat with a temperature before.
See less See more
  • Like
Reactions: 5
As long as your there to watch her..I don't see why not hold off.
  • Like
Reactions: 5
I will barely take my eyes off of her. 馃憖 馃槄
  • Like
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
I鈥檇 also hold off on antibiotics until you have her in a cool place for a couple hours to see how her temp responds. Having a mostly black herd, the weather has played a factor for me as well. If you have LOH GI Back-on- Track you can give her a couple doses of that. Transitioning to lush grasses can cause clumpy poo. I call it the spring flush. ..I hope that鈥檚 all it is and Bella feels better soon!
  • Like
Reactions: 5
Mine get clumpy poop from all their fresh grazing, but that wouldn鈥檛 account for a temperature. Or straight out scouring鈥 Maybe she ate something abnormal tho?
Did she get into extra grain and burn her tummy with that? 馃
I鈥檇 try the dark beer and see if she can get straightened out with it鈥 and maybe garlic and orange peels. Lol
  • Like
Reactions: 5
I鈥檇 also hold off on antibiotics until you have her in a cool place for a couple hours to see how her temp responds. Having a mostly black herd, the weather has played a factor for me as well. If you have LOH GI Back-on- Track you can give her a couple doses of that. Transitioning to lush grasses can cause clumpy poo. I call it the spring flush. ..I hope that鈥檚 all it is and Bella feels better soon!
That's good to know that it's okay to wait and see how her temp is when she cools down. I have a dwindling amount of LOH back on track but I'll give her that too. I gave her some vit. c as well just for an immune boost which she loves. 馃槤 I noticed a sharp decrease in the amount of hay they are eating yesterday, so I'm very hopeful it's just the grass.
  • Like
Reactions: 5
This happened to my buck a few weeks after I got him home. But he coughed (twice in two days that I noticed, and I was with him a lot). He was acting completely fine but because he coughed, I took his temp and it was 104. I鈥檇 never dealt with a fever with my does so I was scared. I listened to his lungs with a stethoscope and it was a clean, smooth sound, no crackle to it. So I called the vet (who had been here the day before for health checks) and he gave me Nuflor (enough for everyone in case it was something that would spread) but told me to wait and to keep monitoring his temp, and if it didn鈥檛 go up, hold off giving it for a day if I was comfortable with that. So I gave my buck a bunch of vitamin C and some vet RX up the nose and monitored and waited and his temp went right back to normal in a matter of hours. I still have no idea what caused the temp spike. It wasn鈥檛 a warm day and he hadn鈥檛 been running around before I took it. I鈥檓 still stumped.

And I did the same thing with the tummy tamer when my girls had issues with coccidia. It made it soooo much easier to give them. But mine are brats (wonderfully lovable brats) and, after a bit, decided they weren鈥檛 eating those anymore either. Stinkers.
See less See more
  • Like
Reactions: 5
Well her temp is up to 105* now. :confused: And that was after she was laying in the cool barn for a few hours. I'm now leaning towards starting antibiotic. Ugh this is such a hard decision. She's still acting 100%, but her poop hasn't gotten better in the least. Pen vs LA200 is what I'm debating on now if I want to start. I like that LA200 is one shot a day and has a short withdrawal time, and also that bottle is already open whereas my pen is still sealed. Thoughts?
  • Like
  • Sad
Reactions: 2
Now I'm seeing wildly different withdrawal times on the internet, what do you guys generally do for pen or la200?
I鈥檇 use the LA200 if you鈥檙e thinking it鈥檚 respiratory but as an overall general antibiotic then Penicillin G is better. Either way she needs to be started on antibiotics because she鈥檚 wrestling with some sort of infection. Remember not to use pen g alongside with la200 because they react to each other and cancel them selves out.
Also since you have banamine, give Her a dose for the fever but also because it helps settle the digestive tract.
Praying she feels better quickly!
  • Like
Reactions: 3
Oh, also if you give the pen g before injecting it make sure you pull the plunger back to make sure you鈥檙e not hitting a blood vessel鈥en g can NOT be given straight into the bloodstream. If you see blood withdraw the needle some and move it to the side and check again. If no blood, you鈥檙e good to go.
  • Like
Reactions: 4
Now I'm seeing wildly different withdrawal times on the internet, what do you guys generally do for pen or la200?
Sorry, missed this. I save the milk for soap or lotions etc. I鈥檓 not big on drinking the milk or making food when an animals being treated. It does freeze well and can be saved, some folks I know sell it for crafting only with a full disclosure on it.
  • Like
Reactions: 1
Okay I'll probably go with pen then. I don't think it's raspatory since I don't see anything to tell me it has something to do with that. I will be sure to check if I hit a blood vessel. I always do, but a reminder is always helpful. 馃憤 As an absolutely last check before I give it, I'm going to check my other goats temps to be sure the scouring isn't unrelated to the fever. If the others show up normal, then I'll start the antibiotic.

Since it's late in the day, how does that work with how long I should give it? Should I do only one dose in the morning of the last day? And how long should I give it since the TGS medicine cabinet says 5-7 days?
  • Like
Reactions: 3
I鈥檇 do a 5-7 day course then reevaluate. Just don鈥檛 stop before the 5 days or a total of 10 doses since your first dose is a nighttime dose.
  • Like
Reactions: 3
Okay will do! Thanks GG and everyone else who has helped so far. 馃
  • Like
Reactions: 2
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top