The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a year ago, a month after Madeline came home to the farm, she developed a hernia. I was so hoping that we could have a vet repair it but our vets locally do not think a repair would hold with the tissue around it. She is one of the best bred does I have and I was still hoping to possibly get 1 kid from her. She has a history of Singles or Twin from the previous owner. I was almost wondering if We ordered a customized "Belly Band" or "Support Goat Tube" for her to make sure her tummy is supported and reinforced during pregnancy. She's still fairly young. I know it is a risk but I do want to explore my options. This is Madeline and her hernia is on the left side halfway back the abdomen....am I completely nuts? The previous owner is surprised that I haven't bred her even as is but it does scare me.

Attachments

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS: Its looks much larger when it's not shaved because it's right at the cowlick of hair on her tummy so it makes her hair pop out in every direction.

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
You could try using some type of support. With what you probably paid for her and everything, I can understand wanting to get a kid out if her. There are no guarantees so ultimately you will have to decide what is worth the risk.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Is the hernia from injury or genetics? I don't think I would be comfortable breeding her.

Reactions: FoxRidge

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I would not breed her with the hernia. you dont know if it is genetic or not. Theres too many risks

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for not getting back sooner, my App was letting me read but not type -_- I am hoping to find a knowledgeable vet within a 250 mile radius of us. The hernia was from something jabbing her, not genetic. She had a puncture there after it had happened but we have no clue to what did it. At the beginning I was terrified it was a CL abscess because it randomly showed up and lost all the hair and did have pus drainage but it was from the initial trauma and not CL thankfully.

I did have someone offer to buy her as is for $1000 ( no joke, I was floored). He's been trying to collect her pedigree I guess or kin to her. I want to sell her, no lie I really do. My other half says no, she is family and best friend to his pet goat so she must stay. I will be a horrible horrible person if I sell her in his eyes but he isn't farmy at all. I do love her but I can't keep and collect every single goat that touches the property and I do want to keep my numbers down to FUNCTIONAL goats. This is a frustration. I feel like no matter what I am a bad person.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts