Belly Button question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Tog Lovers, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    I feel really dumb asking this question but,...How long does it take for the last of the umbilical cord to fall off? The little buckling is going to be 4 weeks old on monday and his is still there. We really wanted to give him a bath and clean him up a bit. He is in the house and when he is in his crate he insists on laying right in his pee instead of the clean area. :hair: But I don't think we should give him a bath until that falls off. It is really dry and rock hard. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    If it's dried up then I would go ahead and give him a bath.

3. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Some of mine still have theirs at 5-6 weeks old, takes a while. But I don't think it would hurt to go ahead and clean him up with it still on.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    its safe to give him a bath.

It might take up to 6 weeks to fall off or tomorrow you will find it gone. :)

5. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    Thank you!!! You know it's been so long I don't even remember how long it took for my own childrens navels to heal up. :hammer:

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My kids still have theirs and they are 6 and 7 weeks old! What I have done with ones that seem long and pointy that scratch me as I hold them or seem to be able to get caught on something is to clip them short against their bellies, of course even though it is dry I still will use iodine once I have them clipped! You should be able to bathe him with no problem, the warm water may even help in it coming off completely.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I find if you dip the navel in Iodine a few times, then it falls off faster. I try to do it for the first several days after they are born. But I agree he is fine to give a bath to.