The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel really dumb asking this question but,...How long does it take for the last of the umbilical cord to fall off? The little buckling is going to be 4 weeks old on monday and his is still there. We really wanted to give him a bath and clean him up a bit. He is in the house and when he is in his crate he insists on laying right in his pee instead of the clean area. :hair: But I don't think we should give him a bath until that falls off. It is really dry and rock hard. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Some of mine still have theirs at 5-6 weeks old, takes a while. But I don't think it would hurt to go ahead and clean him up with it still on.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
My kids still have theirs and they are 6 and 7 weeks old! What I have done with ones that seem long and pointy that scratch me as I hold them or seem to be able to get caught on something is to clip them short against their bellies, of course even though it is dry I still will use iodine once I have them clipped! You should be able to bathe him with no problem, the warm water may even help in it coming off completely.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I find if you dip the navel in Iodine a few times, then it falls off faster. I try to do it for the first several days after they are born. But I agree he is fine to give a bath to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts