The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a doe kid that was down for a few days, she wasn’t eating great but still eating, but she would eat on her knees. I asked a friend and he thought she was maybe joint I’ll, so I did a few days of pen. After two days she was finally standing up without help. That was last week well now one of her front legs is always bent and she won’t put it straight. If I try to gently straighten it she just screams. She has 1/2cc BoSe last Sunday 2/21. And then pen 2/21-2/24.
Any ideas?? I can get a pic in the morning I forgot to take my phone to the barn a little bit ago.
She was born 2/9 so 3 weeks old.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can take her to the vet but they don’t know much about goats, only cows I wasn’t sure if it would be a waste of time or not.

it was straight then at about two weeks old was when she wouldn’t get up in her front legs. Now she gets up but the one is always bent

·
Super Moderator
58,239 Posts
You probably should have done a full week of antibiotics. I wonder if she has some residual infection. But I would still do therapy and cod liver oil.

·
Registered
29,990 Posts
With joint ill..10 full days of antibiotics are needed to fully kill the infection. Penicillin is normally not strong enough to do the job. Baytril is best for this but if RX meds are not an option LA 200 in best OTC choice. 1 cc pee 20 pounds once a day for 10 days. Banamine once a day for 3 days..then assess if a day or two longer is warranted. Warm compresses on her leg may help looses things. Always be gentle in moving the leg..

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With joint ill..10 full days of antibiotics are needed to fully kill the infection. Penicillin is normally not strong enough to do the job. Baytril is best for this but if RX meds are not an option LA 200 in best OTC choice. 1 cc pee 20 pounds once a day for 10 days. Banamine once a day for 3 days..then assess if a day or two longer is warranted. Warm compresses on her leg may help looses things. Always be gentle in moving the leg..
ok I'm going to try and get baytril today home much and for how long will I do that. She's not getting better if anything she is getting worse. I'm also going to try and get her to the vet but I can't till Friday.

·
Registered
29,990 Posts
Baytril is 1 cc per 25 pounds sub q once a day for 10 days (in cases of joint ill)
I would also get her Dexamethsone and high doses of vit c. This combination has shown to help with sepsis in human patience.
Dex is 1 cc per 20 pounds IM day one then decrease dose daily for 4 more days..so ex: if day one she gets 1 cc..day 2 give 3/4 cc then day 3 give 1/2 cc..day 4 give 1/4 cc and day five give 1/8 cc. You never want to stop Dex suddenly..always stair step doses down over 5 days or so.
Hope baby responds to treatment. It's been a long fight for her

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Baytril is 1 cc per 25 pounds sub q once a day for 10 days (in cases of joint ill)
I would also get her Dexamethsone and high doses of vit c. This combination has shown to help with sepsis in human patience.
Dex is 1 cc per 20 pounds IM day one then decrease dose daily for 4 more days..so ex: if day one she gets 1 cc..day 2 give 3/4 cc then day 3 give 1/2 cc..day 4 give 1/4 cc and day five give 1/8 cc. You never want to stop Dex suddenly..always stair step doses down over 5 days or so.
Hope baby responds to treatment. It's been a long fight for her
thank you so much! I talked to the vet today he said la200 should have been good enough and she might be a lost cause but I want to keep trying. She is eating really well still she is just back down on her knees.

vit c just human kind?in chewable form or something different and how much?

·
Registered
29,990 Posts
Yes human vit c. Goats can have 1000-3000mg a day and will pee out what they don't use. I like the powder form to mix with water and drench but if she will eat chewable that's fine too

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok you all know by know that I am not a photographer!!
But maybe I'm going about helping Starla all wrong...? She eats great no swelling, it's not hot, no fever.... could this be a contracted tendon...??
Thinking back to when she was born she walked fine, well kinda she always seemed to be kind of on her toes but still ok for the most part. But maybe because she was a bottle baby and laying/sleeping most of the day, it's now contracted??

I don't know just doing something thinking. She goes to the vet tomorrow late morning and maybe we'll get some answers
19B000D6-3123-4910-A6FE-127A8B7F39A7.jpeg
27AC9262-1EE7-477A-A8D5-CF219FE5423A.jpeg
DF6096F9-78E0-44C9-89EA-B303060A8D76.jpeg

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Can you gradual splints to help her straighten it ...moving it a little straighter each couple of days while you're treating. Contracted tendons hurt, they're slow to correct but it can be done.
@Moers kiko boars did it with one of her boys hopefully she'll chime in.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well now I have a porch goat.
Took Starla to the vet today said she seems healthy, no fever eyes lungs everything sounds good. He is thinking it's white muscle disease and maybe a little bit of contracted tendon.
He told me to keep giving her vit E. I have a few times but maybe I need to do it for days. I'm not really sure. He just kept telling me he was a cattle guy and hasn't done much with goats.
I just was home most of the day and did lots of vitamin C and cod liver oil. She seems a little stronger, we did split her leg for the night. Thinking maybe keeping it straight tonight will help.
C7606DB9-13C3-495D-B205-902C6F06C92E.jpeg

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’m at a loss and I’m not sure what to do. I feel like I keep trying to keep Starla going but I fear it’s just not enough. I splinted her leg over night hoping that would make it kind of better. And this morning it was the same. I know it wasn’t going my to be a fast fix but I was hoping for something, anything...I made a sling out of a towel and hung her just high enough that her front legs were touching the ground with light pressure.

my problem now is she doesn’t want to use either of her front legs. She gets around a little, but on her front knees.

the idea crossed my mind that maybe I just need to put her down... and I hate that. She was going to be my son’s bottle show goat. I’m just not sure what more I can do. If she’s left alone too long she gets in her side and can’t get back up on her knees.

I wish there was an easy answer but I don’t seem to be getting anywhere. The last few feedings she’s not wanting to eat. The days up until today she was chug down vit c water now she take two sips and is done.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts