Berry pick up?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Trace, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Where do you find a fork that is small enough to pick up goat berries? They just slip though the one that I have here for the horse manure and I really need to start picking up in the pen as it is located closeish to my house and I am starting to accumulate a nice goaty odor. :) :)

How do you scoop that go poo?

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    In their yard, I rake grassy areas the best I can with a garden rake and in areas without grass I actually use a broom to sweep up the berries. I usually do this 2-3 times a week so there's never that much to clean up.

Inside their shed, I have hay/straw down. I sift through that with a rake or pitchfork and throw the clean hay/straw into one corner. What's left in the middle of the floor is just berries and a little wet bedding. I just sweep that up with a broom and then put the clean hay and straw back over the floor.

3. happyhogs

happyhogs Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Tee hee hee! Great question...you beat me to it!! And a great answer too! I was getting along fine with the berries in the pen....found that a wallpaper brush is just the right stiffness and manouverabilty to deal with those and kinda 'flicks' them straight into a dustpan rather than brushing over them like the pan brush did but hadn't figured how I could seperate the berries from the bedding in the shed so thanks for the fork/rake tip! xx

4. Ariel301

Ariel301 Guest

Oct 12, 2009
    Our goat pens just have natural dirt/sand on the bottom since grass won't grow here. I use a big plastic rake like you would use to rake leaves and rake it all into a pile then shovel it into buckets to carry to the manure pile. I gave up using the straw in the pens because they just eat it and then they aren't hungry for good hay.

5. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    Our local Zoo has a thing that looks like a box that is lined with small mesh squares for a bottom with a handle on it they sweep the berries in that and the sand falls through. I have YET to make one but I know I will get to it one day.

6. goatnoob

goatnoob Guest

Nov 1, 2009
    I just use a shovel, although a fork would be nice I think that it better to just use what you have to avoid unnecessary cost. you probably have good reason for needing a fork but for me a shovel works.

7. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    I use a large flat "barn" shovel It is wide aluminum and easy to rake on to. I do use a small 6" grass rake, the kind you would use for small flower beds.

8. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    We actually use a snow shovel and a broom. The broom is an old one that we use just for animal chores. It works great to sweep up berries! I then can use them in my flower beds as compost!!!!

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i rake the berries and extra hay near the font of their pen (no way im doing the whole thing) works well

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    We use a big plastic snow shovel, but I generally am able to use a pitch fork and pick up straw with the berries.