The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! As usual I have found conflicting opinions online and wanted to come here to check with the goat experts. 馃榿 What age do you find is the best age to band them? I have a Nigerian Dwarf buckling that is 16 weeks old now and I'm wondering if it's too late to band. I don't own him (sold him with the agreement we would band him) so I'm not sure how large his sac is but hoping it's still small enough to do it. I know we've had kinder X nigerian mixes born in late March banded around the beginning of July/end of June so I'm hoping this won't be too late for a Nigerian Dwarf!

Thank you all so much in advance!

Registered
We prefer to wait 4 to 6 months to allow good growth for easier stone passing if that becomes an issue. We have banded 4 and 5 month old nigerian boys. They were pretty large but doable. I suggest a banamine shot 30 or so minutes before banding just to make things easier on him and of course a tetanus antitoxin shot if he is not fully vaccinated with cd&t.

Reactions: CaramelKittey

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We prefer to wait 4 to 6 months to allow good growth for easier stone passing if that becomes an issue. We have banded 4 and 5 month old nigerian boys. They were pretty large but doable. I suggest a banamine shot 30 or so minutes before banding just to make things easier on him and of course a tetanus antitoxin shot if he is not fully vaccinated with cd&t.
Thank you! He has been given his CD&T shot but I think he is due for a booster. We will definitely disinfect the area as well. Guessing rubbing alcohol is best? I have Banamine but haven't used it yet. Dumb question but is it just a painkiller? 馃榿

Registered
I would clean the area with a weak iodine solution rather than alcohol before and after the banding. Banamine is for pain. It can help reduce fever and inflammation too when that is needing to be addressed. Dose is 1/4 cc per 25 pounds sub q.
If he hasn't had his cdt booster then do give the tetanus antitoxin before banding.

Reactions: FizzyGoats

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oops 馃槵
I meant 4 to 6 months!!!!
Weeks old is too young.
You are correct, problems can happen.
As long as you can get a band on them, it works.
With some, you have to work at it.
Ok perfect, thank you so much! I was so worried he'd be too old but sounds like it's just right. 馃榿 This will be our first time banding so I hope it works! We've had bucklings banded before but we've never attempted it ourselves. 馃榿 We'll definitely make sure to watch out for teats and loose skin. Is it better to grab near the top to make sure the testicles stay down?

Thank you so much in advance!

Registered
By postponing castration we allow the bucks uretha to grow in width. While this does not prevent UC, it does help the buck pass stones easier if they get them. Castration stops the growth. So the younger we castrate the smaller the uretha and increase the likelihood the buck will not fair well if he gets stones.

Registered
Is it better to grab near the top to make sure the testicles stay down?
If you do the banding while the goat is standing, gravity helps..most important before releasing the band is to be sure both testes are through the band. I know my husband had to pop one in at a time with our boys. Grab cow Size bands helps. Yes..no teats or hair in the band and don't go to the belly with it...you want a small space between the band and belly. Hope that helps.

Registered
Here is a great video on the steps.. she does use alcohol to clean...I still feel iodine diluted is good. My husband also leaves a tiny bit more head space there to be sure nothing internal is pinched? But at any rate you can see her boys didn't mind the process at all.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is a great video on the steps.. she does use alcohol to clean...I still feel iodine diluted is good. My husband also leaves a tiny bit more head space there to be sure nothing internal is pinched? But at any rate you can see her boys didn't mind the process at all.
You have been so helpful, thank you so much! 馃挆 That video was great! I had watched it a few times before so hopefully it won't be too hard! And again, thank you so much! If I remember I will update with how it went. 馃榿

1 - 12 of 12 Posts