Best Brown Egg-Layers (chicken)

Discussion in 'Other Animals For Sale' started by kids-n-peeps, Jan 23, 2011.

1. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Based on personal experience, what breeds of chickens have you found to be the best brown egg layers (most prolific).

The only other requirement would be that it gets along with other chickens well (not known for feather-picking, cannibalistic behavior, etc.)

Thanks!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I don't have chickens but my mom always swore by the Rhode Island Reds...heavy birds and nice big brown eggs, even in winter( I hated gathering frozen eggs!)

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I would agree with Liz, but also my black australorps are great layers to.

4. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    totally agree with Liz...I have had several different brown layers and the reds are BY FAR...the best layers....

cochan's are good broody hens fyi....

5. Robynlynn

Robynlynn New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    NW Iowa
    Some of my best layers ever were Dominiques now I have Delewares and I love them because they can also be eaten. They have nice big heavy bodies sooo when I get too many roosters, one can go in the stew pot. That is I f I can find someone else to butcher it for me....I'm kinda squeamiish that way :wink:

6. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    We have one rhode island red and golden wyandottes(7). They are young- just got them in June- They are all laying in the frozen tundra (-24 this am and that didn't even factor in the windchill)- They are very sweet- can pick them up and get along very well with even the guinea hens. Even our rooster is a sweetie!

7. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I have had many different breeds of chickens... RIR's are good layers, as well as Buff Orps.... by my favorite layer and personality was a Black Australorp. She's about the only one I have really missed after she passed. Right now I have a Rhode Is. and a Buff Orp, and I'm going to pick up a couple of Marans next week. Never had them before~

8. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Our Rhode Island reds just recently started to lay. RIRs are said to be the most prolific brown egg layers. They are my favorite even going by just looks!

9. jodief100

jodief100 New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Golden Comets. No question, without a doubt they will lay the most eggs of any brown egg layer.

Whatever chicken you get, make sure you a good strain.

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    GOLDEN COMETS!
    they're Alaskan hardy, over 100% lay rate (we free range) and have huge eggs! we had to duct tape the XXL cartons shut

11. Desert Viking Ranch

Desert Viking Ranch New Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Arizona
    You know...all chickens can be eaten :p :wink:

Rhode Island Reds are extremely popular. We are looking at getting Australorps on our ranch and possibly Delaware's.

...now about these Golden Comets... very interesting and thanks AlaskaBoers. I had never heard of them till you mentioned it and had to do some research. I think I might look into getting a few of these myself - at 300+ eggs per year and through the winter that's hard to beat; too bad they are a hybrid but I hear they can lay even at 5 years old so they are definitely worth it.

12. Farmgirl675

Farmgirl675 New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Isa Brown's ...I have had these for years and they consistantly lay xlarge and jumbo brown eggs. Mine average 355 eggs a year! They are a dual purpose (meat and eggs) bird also...They stay at top production for 3 years.

13. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Those of you with Rhode Island Reds, what are their personalities like . . . do they get along with other chickens well?

I'll definitely look into the Golden Comets and the ISA Browns - I'll look up pictures online, but if anyone has pictures of his/her own, I'd love to see them!

14. Robynlynn

Robynlynn New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    NW Iowa
    In the winter I add some chicken nutri-drench to the chicken's water. they are all inside right now and don't free range in the winter. (easy fox and coyotte food) :wink: It's helped with my egg production!

15. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I have one Rhode Island and she gets along with everyone else. She is great!

16. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Thanks for the advice - we decided to add a few Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock to the flock. Next time, we'll try some of the sex-links mentioned :thumb:

17. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I have blue orps, (my best) whndots, (very good) frizzles (very good) black giant, black astr., (good) and marans. (the worst)

My blues never stopped laying this year. :) They are beautiful and very friendly.
    My whinnys are nice and have kept up production very well.
    Love my frizzle cochins. If I need any youngin's raised Buffy is my go to hen. She is mean as a snake when anything threatens her chicks. She even took on a oppossum. He tore her up but she never gave up. She'll always have a home. She's a good weeder too!
    The giant and astralopes did fine. They lay nice big eggs.
    Got to say the marans are over priced and suck at laying and hatching. A much better bird is the welsummer. They lay terra cotta colored eggs and have a MUCH better production and hatch rate. They are a nice sized bird as well.
    I hope to find a blue orp rooster this year. (sold ours for $22-$25 at auction each) We sold them because they were related to our hens. We had 5. Not bad for a rooster. We have 7 blue hens not counting my blue frizzle.
    Also hope to get some more blue-red whindots. Beautiful birds. I have 1 hen and 1 rooster right now. They bring good money here but are hard to find so I hope to start raising them.

Good luck,
    Gina

18. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    My barred rocks lay really well, and thier eggs are pretty large. I have two and the rest of mine are Buff Orpingtons, by far my favorite chicken... they are such pets! They are very calm and quite- Not so "chicken-y" like the barred rocks. They lay huge light rose colored eggs, and mine actually lay very well even though they are dual purpose. Plus they are just so darn pretty.I've never had a problem with either breed of my girls picking at each other. I really feel like this more in part for only having 7 hens in a large run and coop. They are very content. Management says a lot more for chicken behavior then the breed it seems.Good luck!

19. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I am glad to hear this about Buffs-I'm adding some to my flock and love friendly, good laying chickens!

20. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Just wanted to say that I agree about the Welsummers. We used to have them and I really miss them. They laid nice-sized terracotta eggs that often had darker spots on them. They were not my best layers, but definitely decent layers :)