Best Buck Housing? Photos and Advice Please

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Buck Naked Boers, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Buck Naked Boers

Buck Naked Boers Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Hi everyone. We have bought a beautiful black registered Boer buckling. We plan to keep him with our herd with a apron on until we have a nice home for him set up. He’s only going to be 3 mo when we bring him home.

My question is, can you share photos of your buck housing? We want to make a nice house for him near our barn.

I’ve considered just letting him stay in the barn but I think it would disrupt the herd a lot when he’s in rut probably.

Anyway. I’d like to hear any wise advice you can share about raising Boer bucks. And can you snap some photos of where your buck or bucks live and show how large of space you have fenced for them too if possible. Thank you I’m advance for any advice or photos.

Here is a photo of our boy!

IMG_1610256700.084267.jpg

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

3. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Congratulations on the new addition!

The only housing we have found buck-indestructible have been the white igloo calf hutches or a handmade wooden “mini barn” that uses leftovers from our barn roof enclosure kits. We have also tried pallet houses, and they do seem to work, but it is entirely dependent on how well you can enforce it. I don’t have any pictures, but I might be able to snap a few today when hoof trimming.

I found that anything else can get destroyed easily. We spent like $300-$400 each on these plastic-like pyramid shaped goat hutches, and they were so easily destroyed. So much money wasted!

Make sure your fencing is secure! We have even gone the length of enforcing some of our buck pens with horizontal rods when we use to have constant head-beaters. This may seem like overkill, but when you have a doe pasture not even two feet away from the closest buck pen... you tend to be safer than sorry lol. We also put up plywood on sides where other pens are visible. Even if they can see over the fence, I’ve found it lessens the beating and head butting against fencing from both bucks and does.

We’ve also found using those round pen panels and zip tying goat fencing onto it (from those rolls) is a great way to keep anything inside. We have yet had anything finagle that.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  4. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    Oh that’s a nice little guy you got there! I’m so excited for you!!!!
    Well when it comes to bucks nothing is over kill lol and I have thrown any idea of looking nice or fancy right out the window because they are so destructive! Their pen is a absolutely disaster right now but you get the general idea off this pics IMG_4346.jpg those panels for the roof actually weigh a ton, plus it’s just laying flat so I gave up on that idea. I now just have plyboard up. What I did was come out and on top of the panels laid the 2X6 across the panels and then attached the plyboard on one end to that and the other end just lays on the panels. So it gives it a small slant for water to run off. On the panels under the roof I put plyboard all along them so it’s like a 3 sided shelter. My boys I actually keep separate and so the dividing panels that keep them apart I put plyboard up as well. It has helped a LOT with them smashing into the panels.
    Now since I sold one of the trouble making bucks I am actually thinking about taking those dividing panels out and expanding the pen and using this as their shelter roof IMG_4347.jpg the feed store has one set up for their boys to keep them out of the rain and sun so I’m going to totally look it over first next time I am down there and see how easy it will be for them to destroy before I buy it though.

5. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    the next buck barn i buy will be a prefab concrete septic tank. about 1200 gallon with a 32 inch round hole for a door. and 3, 4 inch holes in the floor for drainage.

the price of concrete tank was $600.00 the last time i looked

HMNS, alwaystj9 and Moers kiko boars like this.
  6. wheel-bear-o

wheel-bear-o Member

Jul 6, 2020
    Vermont
    Do you have a wether friend or another buck for him to live with? My buck lives in his own house and pasture adjacent to the girls and he can see them every day, but he would constantly cry, escape and be destructive to the fences during the month before we got him his wether friend to live with. Now that he has a buddy he hasn't tried to escape once.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  7. fivemoremiles

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of the hog barns i bought many years ago. I do not have hogs any more but the barns are used by my sheep a lot.

8. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hi..I have Nothing Fancy. Its for destructo Bucks.
    To the far left is a tarp covered.feeder. its attached to the side of the goat.house. The doorway is the main 10 x10 wooden buck house. Then a 20 x 6.metal buck house with 2 openings. The ladder is a goat push around toy.
    20210110_110750.jpg

This is the.middle of the metal buck house. With.an open area next to the fence where.they can look over to 1 of the doe houses..but a cover it to keep them from attempting to get out. 20210110_110750.jpg
    For some reason my bucks dont like the heavy leather cover over the fence. They wont push on it. I dont know why. But they are in a chain link 3/4 of an acre paddock. They have toys and variouse items to push on, climb, fight over or on. They love big wooden spools to jump on or push around. I keep plastic tubs on the low roof..to keep the bucks off. Its about 5 ft tall...but they like to attempt to get on it. Add the tubs...they leave it alone.
    Like I said..nothing fancy..only durable. The fence on the side that goes to the bigger pasture( where does are) are cattle panels covered with chain link. I have a hot wire 6 inches on the inside the top of the fence. Its solar powered and hurts when you get bit. Yes all 3 bucks have touched it once. And 1 time only...lol lol

9. AndersonRanch

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    OMG I LOVE it!!! That is definitely buck proof lol

GoofyGoat and Moers kiko boars like this.
  10. Blessed Boer's

Blessed Boer's Active Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Shawnee, Oklahoma
    We use a big oil tank with the round part cut off and the back has plywood. It’s wonderful. IMG_1610312920.758416.jpg

11. Mulberry Creek Farm

Mulberry Creek Farm New Member

Jan 9, 2021
    Salina Kansas
    You can find these totes cheap and sometimes free. I've found that they make nice goat shelters and dog houses. You can also make hay feeders and several other things out of them. I keep my buck and my buckling in a 20'x40' pen with a door on each end. I was lucky enough to find a bunch of old fairground horse stall panels cheap and made my pen out of those. They are taller than they would need to be but they're not goi g to get out. The South door of my pen opens into a larger enclosure with some good grass and a shelter belt which I put electric fence around. Give your buck some company if possible and as much room as you can with you particular setup.

Attached Files:

12. Mulberry Creek Farm

Mulberry Creek Farm New Member

Jan 9, 2021
    Salina Kansas
    Here is a view of my buck pen setup. 16103165595867052137130540268182.jpg

CottonwoodBoerGoats and Mrs R like this.
  13. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    WOW! Thank you all for your kind responses and taking the time to post photos!

Karen thank you! He is a sweetie we are super excited to bring him home next month! We plan to keep him in the barn with the herd for a while with a buck apron. That is what we do with any boys our girls have until he is sold. It works well.

CountylineAcres: Thank you so much for taking the time to take some photos when you have time. I would like to see how you house your boys. I really wish I could just keep him in a stall in my barn. But I am not sure how that would work. I know very little about bucks because we have never had one. I know they have rut and go crazy basically during that time. So I would imagine housing them in the same barn as the girls wouldn't work. But my goats are my babies. And so I just can't imagine having him stay outside so my hubby plans to build a house for him.
    What barn roof enclosure kits are you talking about? Can you share a link?
    Also I was going to ask you. My husband (see post in next paragraph) would like to move his pen periodically. So yes definately I know that the fence needs to be very sturdy. I had thought about using wood posts with horse no climb fencing and probably some electric fencing down low. I think my husband thinks we can just put up tposts with hotwire and he won't try to get out. Is this true? If so then we could move his pasture periodically during the summer.Honestly though I don't think he probably will want to be moved. They like a constant of where their house is I think??

Question I have for you all: My husband would like to have a house for him that is moveable so we could move his pasture from time to time. Is this logical or is that not something we should do? We are talking about a Boer Buck not a Nigerian....

Jessica: Thank you so much for that information you shared! And the photos!!! Thank you! We get really cold where we are. Can also get snow. Lots of rain. So we want to have a three sided barn type thing for him. Then fence. So you use the cow panels it looks like for your fence right? And do you just ziptie them together? Do those work better than regular no climb horse fencing? We will have his stall/pasture out in the pasture. The barn will be on one side but he won't be right next to the barn fencing. However when the goats are in the pasture they would be able to walk up to the fence where he is. Will that work? I am trying to figure out where to put him.
    Also another question for you, is it ok to have a buck by themselves? I know they are herd animals but I don't have any animals I would want to put in his pen unless I am breeding....
    I guess too it depends on his temperment right? Some bucks are crazy and other bucks are very calm, I have seen a buck in the past that our friends had that was like a dog....just walked around the property when he wasn't in his stall. But others can be really almost mean. I am hoping with us raising him from about 3 mo old that he will have a good temperment and be calmer.

Mulberry Creek Farm likes this.
  14. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    fivemoremiles: Thank you for sharing that info. Wow that is interesting! Definately they couldn't break that! =)

wheelbearo: I don't have a friend for our buck yet. I am going to see if he is ok on his own first. He will be near the barn where he can see the herd everyday. My two wethers have always stayed in the barn and I cannot separate them. They are attached at the hip so to speak! They also are getting older. But if things don't work for him to live on his own then we will have to rethink our decision of having him stay by himself. I have a wether that is completely happy to be by himself especially in the pasture. So I would think sometimes bucks can be that way too? Will see.

Moers: Thank you so much for the information on your buck housing and the photos! I really appreciate this information! We had thought about using electric possibly around the bottom of the fence like about 6 inches high but maybe top is where it should be right? Thank you for this information. Just trying to figure out what will work best for our new buck with our set up here. We have been taking our girls to go get bred yearly. But decided to see if having a buck works better.

Blessed boers: That is a great set up! Thank you for sharing your photos! Do you keep one buck in that pen or more than one? I am trying to figure out if it will work having him housed by himself.

Mulberry Creek: That is so cool! Thank you for sharing the photo! With the fire we had here in our area this summer, we bought two IBC totes for water usage to put out fires if we ever were to have another fire (we have had two in the past 6 yrs near our house). But we are so cold and wet (and snow sometimes)here during winter and spring that I think our buck will need more of a shelter too. But that is a great idea!! Indestructible! That is a great pen! If I lived in a drier area I would definitely consider that set up!

Mulberry Creek Farm likes this.
  15. AndersonRanch

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    So I have these panels IMG_4352.jpg and they actually connect to each other. And then I have these panels to keep stray dogs, coyotes or what not from getting in with them IMG_4353.jpg well not the exact panels but you get the idea ;) they are very easy to take apart and move which is half the reason I went this way. I do have T posts in the corners to keep them from moving around when they rub on the fence.
    My bucks are by their selfs. Do I think they as happy as they could be? No probably not but they are not suffering being by their self either. Not getting depressed and sick or anything like that. They can easily see the girls from where they are at too. Not right up against the fence so they can breed threw the fence or the girls really tease them when they come into heat but they do get to see other goats and I think that probably helps.
    NO hot fence only will probably not keep him contained. I had hot fence and beef panels up and my one buck just gritted his teeth and went over anyways. If he’s determined I don’t think it is going to hold him.

HMNS likes this.
  16. Blessed Boer's

Nov 7, 2019
    Shawnee, Oklahoma
    Blessed boers: That is a great set up! Thank you for sharing your photos! Do you keep one buck in that pen or more than one? I am trying to figure out if it will work having him housed by himself.

I actually have 2 bucks so they can cuddle in this big area.
    But here is what we used for one young buck before we got 2 and one started being destructive.
    This worked well as we already extra metal laying around and 2x4’s. It’s only about 4 ft tall.

IMG_1610344197.812057.jpg

17. Blessed Boer's

Nov 7, 2019
    Shawnee, Oklahoma

Attached Files:

18. Blessed Boer's

Nov 7, 2019
    Shawnee, Oklahoma
    Sorry! One more thing... we keep the bucks in a welded corral that’s probably 50x30. We used to keep them in half that space of regular 4x4 goat fence until the became to rowdy. You’d probably be best to make sure whatever you do the first time will last and work for all possible bucks. Just my advice since we had to do ours twice.
    But... our first attempt was good for just something temporary. Hope this helps.

19. fivemoremiles

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    An electric fence should be at nose height. I have our electric fence between 2.5 and 3 feet high. that is high enough the bucks can eat close to the fence but not climb on it