Best early pregnancy signs?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Adam Spires, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Adam Spires

Adam Spires Member

Oct 26, 2020
    Ohio
    I've had goats for a while now and the most frustrating part about breeding and pregnancy is not knowing if the doe is pregnant in the early stages (first 2 months). Obviously, if the doe doesn't come back into heat, she's probably bred, but two of my girls are very quiet about their heat cycles and they are super hard to catch when in heat. They were bred in August and I've been questioning for the past two months if they are pregnant or not. Does anyone have any insight about early pregnancy detectors?

2. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know if this helps, but you can get a blood pregnancy test done 28 days after breeding. You can do them for relatively cheaply too from a lab.

GoofyGoat and CountyLineAcres like this.

3. Adam Spires

Adam Spires Member

Oct 26, 2020
    Ohio
    I'll definitely look into that! Thank you!

4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Blood test or having an ultrasound is best option. Although for standard size goats I'd wait 32-35 days past possible breeding date otherwise test could be iffy.

We have some I can kind of guess they are possibly bred - Our 2 first time yearlings for example, I suspected they were bred, but did blood test last week to make sure.
    One of them was a bully and a brat, but then she became more standoffish and lower in the pecking order being mindful of herself.
    The other one has become noisy. She is the alarm clock in the mornings for breakfast and the evenings. She was only slightly noisy before breeding, now.... tells us everything about everything lol.

We had a doe years ago that when she laid down she would grunt in a rhythmic way - didn't do it outside of pregnancy, and I knew that was the sign to watch for with her.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California