Best electric prod???

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by LibertyHomesteadFarm, Feb 9, 2017.

1. LibertyHomesteadFarm

LibertyHomesteadFarm Member

Feb 1, 2014
    Looking for input on everyone's opinions on the best brand of electric cattle prod.

I've got an aggressive ram (7 years old) who may need more "persuasion" than a squirt bottle of vinegar water will provide.

If it weren't that he is a member of a critically endangered breed and has valuable genetics, he'd already be on his way to freezer camp. (as it is, I keep telling him that when he gets older and doesn't perform well, I'll have his head mounted on the wall and his hide turned into a rug! LOL)

[​IMG]

2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    He is just gorgeous. Sorry no help here, I've never bought a cattle prod before ;)

3. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Tractor supply sells decent ones with different length wands. If you use one, tell him no, then a quick zap on the meaty area of the thigh. They learn quickly! He will try and run away. It hurts and scares them.
    He is a beautiful ram.

4. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    They are all pretty much the same. I'll see what brand mine is. But I suggest getting the short stick, it's a hog stick. It's a little hard to get the long one to get anything that is super close to you. I used mine when I would pour the grain. At first I had the long one and after a miss and I got my leg I got the short stick lol

5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Sorry Jessica84, I had to laugh when I read that you got your leg! It's not funny, but ...... I got mine once too! It sure lights you up!

6. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Oh no once I got over the screaming and cursing I had to laugh about it too lol same thing with the hot fence. I had a evil laugh once I got it up because they would start respecting my fence, yeah I've lost track of how many times I've been nailed by it....karma? Yeah probably lol

7. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    What magnificent horns!
    We use a red handled one from the feed store. I don't remember the brand.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the red handle one, you want something they can feel.

9. BrokenArrowRanch

BrokenArrowRanch Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    The red handled one is called hot shot. I have one. Dont like us g it but I will if I have too.

10. LibertyHomesteadFarm

Feb 1, 2014
    Our Southern States has one from Gallagher; our TSC has one from Jolt. Are those good brands?

11. SeventeenFarms

SeventeenFarms Active Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Southern New Jersey
    I was in TSC once and didn't realize that the prods were "hot" and trying to be funny, I prodded myself thinking I'd act like I got a shock, and needless to say, I didn't have to to act. Kids thought it was funny! Last time I went near one!

12. LibertyHomesteadFarm

Feb 1, 2014

13. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    These stories are too funny