Best feed for wethers?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by jlgalvin, Apr 26, 2010.

1. jlgalvin

jlgalvin New Member

Apr 25, 2010
    I have been busy researching all the info available on this site. I see that it is not recommnded to feed grain to wethers? My aunt had a Nubian wether that suffered from stones and eventually had to be put down. I do not want to face that problem.
    I am having a hardtime compliling all the info available, what is best to feed my 12 week

Also, I can see there are benefits to adding amm. Chloride, but if I just want to top dress my grain, how much do I add?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Most will feed just a grass hay and whatever browse is available. I have 2 bucks and 1 wethewr and they get the same 18% grain as my does do....I think alot of the issues associated with the formation of UC are a combo of genetics as well as feeding. I do supply a mineral with added Ammonium Chloride to help acidify the urine just in case.
    There are commercial feed mixes out there that have AC already added....I think Purina Noble Goat is one, if this is what you are feeding them, check the label to see if it has the added AC.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    IMO if you're going to feed wethers grain just plain oats(or oats with a little barley) is the best feed for them...avoid anything with corn in it as corn calcifies the urine.

4. jlgalvin

jlgalvin New Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Thank you both so much. I appreciate your time

5. I have a mix put together and it does fine for the wethers we have placed and get feed from us. However, whatever the feed you choose the Ammonium Chloride is a much for wethers and highly recommended for bucks. At the same time in many cases wethers do fine with some folks with not grain at all, just plenty of hay,alfalfa, and browsing you have.