Best foods for lactating goats?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Clarebear123456, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Clarebear123456

Clarebear123456 New Member

May 23, 2016
    The thumb of Michigan
    I’m just wondering what you guys feed your goats after they have their babies.

Thanks in advance!

No_goat_4_u likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

The same thing I feed all year round. Grass hay, alfalfa pellets and their feed.

3. Clarebear123456

Clarebear123456 New Member

May 23, 2016
    The thumb of Michigan
    @ksalvagno do you give anything right after birth like molasses water?

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Sometimes. That is certainly something you can automatically do.

5. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    For me about a month before they kid (depending on how their grass and what not is holding up) they get alfalfa hay and protein tubs. That’s if for me lol I used to give the molasses and water to all of them after kidding but the last few years they have all kidded at once and I feel quite proud just getting them fed and watered lol but if one had a hard time kidding I will make sure they get some

top_goat likes this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others. Good advice.

7. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    I give free choice alfalfa hay and small amounts of grain year round. Browse/graze when it's available. Right after kidding, I give them a bucket of warm molasses water.

8. I also give molasses water to my new mommas. I also give a bit of grain. My goats all get free choice alfalfa year round.

9. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    We almost always give molasses water to our goats as well as our milk cows after they kid/calve. although it isn't a necessity, it gives them more energy which some mamas need after a hard birthing.

With my leaner dairy girls (the ones that will go downhill if I don't), I start giving grain a month or so before kidding, and usually feed them until they are dried off in the fall, if they need it that long. Typically they each get 2-3 cups (it really depends on the doe though) of a mix of alfalfa pellets, grain (usually one of the kinds from TSC), BOSS and beet pulp if we have it. This year I have also started giving alfalfa hay to my girls in milk or close to kidding.
    I do not give any feed (aside from a handful as a treat now and then) to my does that don't truly need it to maintain their condition. One thing I dearly want in my herd is hardiness, both towards worms/parasites and the need for grain.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    top_goat and CrazyDogLady like this.
  10. cbrossard

cbrossard Active Member

Oct 4, 2014
    I milk my does starting a couple of weeks after they kid, so I feed some grain, alfalfa pellets and BOSS on the milk stand to help with milk production in addition to their 2nd cutting orchard grass hay and browse.

Goat_Scout likes this.
  11. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat New Member

Sep 24, 2017
  12. cbrossard

cbrossard Active Member

Oct 4, 2014
    I put Apple Cider Vinegar in my goats' water pretty much all of the time.