The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody!

I'm looking for recommendations on the best product/s for treating infected hooves.

I'd like something easy to apply, penetrates deeply, and keeps working 2-3 days.

Call it footrot, hoof rot, interdigital dermatitis, scald, whatever, what do ya all use on it?

Is it worth buying a commercial product for the worse cases, seeing as I have 10kg copper sulphate, anything better?

I've found this product aerosol 'Footrot spray' containing "Dichlorophen", I'm considering buying it but is it any good?

I've used a few flavours of treatment over the years, copper sulphate most often, in grease, water, and right now I'm using copper sulphate gel (water thickened with gelatine).

I've also used:
Zinc sulphate (which I noted was less painful than copper but not quite as potent)
Borax (very mild)
Iodine spray (quite good for raw areas but more for wounds than hooves)
Thrush buster (purple product containing iodine, formalin, and gentian violet)
I liked thrush buster, the purple makes it look like you've done something! but they say formalin doesn't penetrate well, and the violet might be a carcinogen + got all over my fingers so I never bought more considering that copper sulfate in water seems to really work just as well.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what you can get in New Zealand, but I've heard good things about kopertox and I've used Dr. Naylor Hoof n' Heel myself.
Ok Thanks, I can look up the ingredients and find an equivalent. (y)

Reactions: MellonFriend

·
TKC Farms
2,631 Posts
Not sure what you can get in New Zealand, but I've heard good things about kopertox and I've used Dr. Naylor Hoof n' Heel myself.
This is the best I’ve found. My Tractor quit handling it so I stopped at several different Tractors and got 4 bottles. Then I went on line and found it and bought 10 bottles. I use it on all four hooves when I trim whether I have hoof rot or not. I put it all over hoof and down in the middle of the split in hooves. Also on the Spurs when I clip them I dose them too.

Reactions: MellonFriend

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,641 Posts
This is the best I’ve found. My Tractor quit handling it so I stopped at several different Tractors and got 4 bottles. Then I went on line and found it and bought 10 bottles. I use it on all four hooves when I trim whether I have hoof rot or not. I put it all over hoof and down in the middle of the split in hooves. Also on the Spurs when I clip them I dose them too.
If you ever have trouble finding it, Jeffers always has it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts