The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks! I have to confess that I have not been worming my goats. They look fat, sleek and happy. But we are going to introduce a new buck soon who comes from a bigger farm. He is on a regular wormer interval. Should I worm my goats before he comes? And what are your recommendations for the best overall wormer. What dosage for Nigerian Dwarf does?

· I'm watching you
22,734 Posts
I never worm unless necessary and to be honest, I wouldn't buy from someone who over worms.

The best thing you can do is quarantine the buck for 30 days and clean him out well. Then you know he's not bringing anything to your herd.

· Super Moderator
36,739 Posts
I agree with goat hiker..why fix whats not broke!..if your goats are looking good and worm free-ish ..pen the new buck up and rake up his berries often..after the 30 days..run a fecal see if he needs worming...Run a fecal on all your goats..this is a good habit if you can a few times a year just to track how things are going...when you do have to worm..choose a good wormer ..I like Ivomec plus and Valbazen..it get a tonof different worms and the only ones who kill liver fluke..

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Glad I took your advice! I didn't worm my ladies, put him in isolation and had a fecal done on him after he had been here a week. The vet said the fecal was clean. So, as far as worms are concerned, he should be OK to put with the herd right??? He was wormed right before he came to me.

· I'm watching you
22,734 Posts
Yeah, that would be the theory BUT momma worms don't lay eggs in the wintertime when they aren't going to survive. I would do a worming with Ivomectin Plus orally, to kill the encysted mama worms and then let him out 48 hours later.

· Super Moderator
36,739 Posts
yes..he should be fine : ) Good news!!

· Registered
8 Posts
Question. Can I use ivermectin injection for cattle and swine for parasite control for my goats? Can this be given orally? I have seen that there are owners that give ivermectin for parasite control however when reading the drug instructions it does not state anything about usage in goats. I have been using Safeguard.

· I'm watching you
22,734 Posts
Yes, it can be used in goats orally. The dose for regular Ivomectin injectable is 1cc per 22lbs orally, and the dose for Ivomectin PLUS is 1cc per 33lbs orally.
Moxidectin can also be used and the dose for it as Quest horse paste is 1cc per 100lbs orally.

All of these should be rounded up a bit, not down to ensure the animal gets a full dose.

All wormers should be given over the hump of the tongue well back in the mouth. If they are given in the front of the mouth, some will soak through the tissues and not be as effective.

· Registered
362 Posts
I agree, worm only as needed. I brought a new doe in this past August. The breeder I bought her from had beautiful healthy goats and also wormed only if needed. A lot has to do with worming. The health of your animals and the new one and the environment of your farm . It was a bad year for worms for some. I have fecals done a few times a year and it's been years since I have needed to worm my goats. I might be lucky but I think they have been able to tolerate there worm load and it stays under control. I only have a few goats so it might be different if you have a large herd. I'm really close to my vet, she is a goat person at heart. I seperate new additions for a couple of weeks if possible and have fecals on them done. Treat only if needed, if something comes up then we will treat as needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.