The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok , I need your help guys , my doe Mocha is milking once a day now and I am looking to dry her up. I feel she needs more weight and I am at a loss on how to accomplish that. I have been feeding her twice daily 4 cups and have given a extra cup here and there. She will eat only so much grain and she has alfalfa all the time. She walks away after being milked and leaves a cup or more in the her bucket. I never saw a goat walk away from a bucket with grain in it ! But she is absolutely fine , healthy but IMO needs weight on her !
I was thinking of adding calf manna to add weight on her , but is that the best option ? I also want to change my brand since I am feeding Purina Goat Chow.
Yes , I know its not the best or even the best of the worst , but that was the only thing some of them would eat since they only knew that one grain since they were young. So , I have tried Purina Noble and they eat it but i know they are looking for the molasses. I also feed Southern State pellets cause of the added AC for the bucks. That they eat but I feel they would like more of a variety. I add BOSS to their grain and beet pulp pellets in the winter.
I also feed alfalfa pellets. I was interested in trying what was suggested in the Fiasco Farms feeding page , she feeds Pro-Line 16% Mare and Foal mix.
Any thoughts on this ? Can someone name brands of feeds they like for me so I can possibly ask my feed store if they have it or can order it ?

Thanks all. I just want to feed my kids the best I can ;)

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Karen :) I know there was a grain , I think it was called
DUMOR ? Is this a quality grain ?

I will look up ADM dairy goat powder , thanks again :)
Im going to the feed store in a couple of hours , so I was hoping to get a few ideas before then. If not , I go weekly to pick up my grain ;)

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And will pick up some calf manna for Mocha !
Any thoughts on how much to add to her grain ration ?

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I agree with the calf manna.. And maybe more beet pulp? Once she isn't being milked anymore she will gain more weight too :)

I don't know how much Calf Manna you would give a big goat.. Start with a little and just up it a bit at a time for her to get used to it and they when you find an amount that works for you, feed that :) hopefully Mochalo will gain weight quickly :)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
You don't need a whole lot of calf manna.. For Boers people feed about 1 pound. How big is your doe? Rice bran is another option also.

·
Super Moderator
59,307 Posts
I am not a fan of the Dumor brand. Since I moved, I had to switch brands and I'm now using Kalmbach. It is locally made in Upper Sandusky, OH. Not sure where they go to. I like the Kalmbach but I prefer the ADM.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok , thanks everybody , I really appreciate all your responses :)
Karen , what does ADM stand for ? I', going to ask if I can order it if they indeed dont carry it , but they will ask me and I'll feel like a kid shrugging muy shoulders saying " i dunno" , lolol
Im also going to see if they can get Kalmbach

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I use the noble goat parlor and I like it. I felt the goat chow had too much molasses in it. What I did to get them to just eat the noble goat was to mix sweet grain (I usually feed it to my wether sheep and goats) in with it, and them slowly I took the sweet feed away.. Now the will eat the noble goat no problems...

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
How much sage/parsley to you feed? Also drying a couple does who need more weight.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Karen , what does ADM stand for ?
ADM doesn't stand for anything - it is simply the name of the company. Their full name is ADM Alliance. I don't know how it is in your area, but around here ADM products can only be purchased through an individual distributor. Here is the link to their website, and you can click on the "dealer" link to see if it's available in your area. Personally, I like just about anything ADM carries. My kids adore the meat grower pellets, and everyone loves their mineral.

You may also want to check into Essential Show Feeds. They carry other stuff besides show feeds, and my kids also adore their meat goat grower, and everyone loves their mineral. Again, Essential is sold through individual distributors here, but the website has a link to find dealers. Good luck with Mocha!

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks so much GoatCrazy :)
I will check them out ! I really want to change them from the Purina Goat Chow. I asked my food people and they were almost adamant that they don't carry ADM nor can they get it :(
They arent the only place to get grain here , but it does help to get everything all in one place. Oh well . Im wondering if my AGWAY will be able to get it ? And I will check out Essential as well :)
Yay , Im so happy now that I will be able to get them off the
Chow. Thanks for the well wishes for my Mocha too ;)

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh , got the calf manna too . Only came in a 50lb bag though :/
Mocha sure does love it , lol. I couldn't believe how crazy she went for it ! I mixed a handful in her feed and will up it slowly as needed.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
How much sage/parsley to you feed? Also drying a couple does who need more weight.
Just a little bit.. It's part of the Wormwood family I heard so you don't want to constantly feed it ;)

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
We are going to be making our own grain mix, Fir Meadow's recipe. Barley, oats, and sunflower seeds, that's it! They'll get their alfalfa hay (or if I can't find hay, pellets) and they should be set. I'm pretty excited to try it. Sometimes the ingredients in the pre-mixed grain makes me a bit leery.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Just a little bit.. It's part of the Wormwood family I heard so you don't want to constantly feed it ;)
Maybe just a pinch in the grain every other day? :shrug:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts