The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
I use 22..hand gun. Alot of pawn shops have decent guns. Military / survival stores carry ammo.
yeah you just have to look around for it. Main thing is not to get caught up in the price gouging trap. I have seen some insane prices for center fire of late.
I will usually go through anywhere from a 1000 to 1500 rounds a month for training. But that's a different scenario.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I have a 22 pistol i call last rites. for proper placement of the bullet draw a line from the right eye to the left ear. then draw a line from the left eye to the right eye. making an x. the x marks the spot. death is instant. i have used CB caps(22 shorts half the power) to put down a bull that got hit on the road. I dropped the bull in his tracks, the cop that was backing me up looked at me and said I never and walked away.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
In South Africa it isnt common to shoot an animal. Depending on the reason the vet will use an injection to stop the heart.
My springbuck get shot by a hunter with a .22 rifle. Because they are wild. The fellow deer are tame so the vet can inject them. I pray all my animals die naturally. Putting an animal down is very sad for me.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Worse than putting an animal down is needing to but not having a way to do it. This is something hard to teach people new to livestock. Have a plan. Know how to dispose of a carcass if it is not for the freezer. I have a 30+ year old horse and I know she may have years to go. The last horse that passed cost $350 to bury and that was 10 years ago. The backhoe guy does not have a backhoe anymore. I even called the zoo and some wild animal sanctuaries, after the mad cow thing they won't take animals from individuals. So I am keeping my eye out for a new backhoe guy. (btw, Cookie the horse is pretty healthy for her age). Most pygmies/nigis are small enough to bury or a vet can cremate. (This topic sucks but is necessary: Good on you, Alabama Girl, for asking!)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts