The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Texas which is currently experiencing an ice storm the likes of which hasn't been seen in these parts for 10 years. It's been icy rain and days of wind & plummeting temps that crescendos with a lows of 0 degrees on Monday night.

Because I am relatively new to goats, I am experiencing so much anxiety over my goats during this storm! I bought long electrical cords, heat lamps, etc. and spent a lot of time rigging up warm shelters with lots of bedding.

So what happens? Power's out. Powers out for a loooonnng time is the word on the streets. We have no heat in the house and no water flowing for over 24 hours. And, of course, there's no heat lamps. I still have my shelters all bedded up and forced the goats in during the rain, but now with no rain and just cold, they are actually choosing NOT to go in. It's driving me nuts because I HATE that they're cold and furious they aren't using the shelters and worried they'll be sick.

They can go in to the shelters they want. I can break the ice on the water tank. I'll feed them a lot of food. But I have no choice but to let what happens, happens. So much for best laid plans.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Keep them well supplied with hay given free choice. Will help keep them warm from the inside out. Putting hay out twice a day helps cut down on the waste, over putting too much out in the mornings and having them pick over it throughout the day.

Sorry you all are out of electricity, it has to be extremely rough for your family. Hopefully the power company can get it restored sooner than later. Hang in there and take care. :hug:

·
Registered
389 Posts
As long as they have water and hay, they will be happier than you are. Pinch the loose skin on the side of their necks occasionally to check for dehydration...if it doesn't go back flat immediately after you pinch it, it is a sign of dehydration. You may need to bring buckets of warm water out once or twice a day if that is possible.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Yep...im there with you. Im in central Texas and am dreading this upcoming week. Plus we have the power company from Louisiana which has a record of going out in my area. I have three nannies due any day. So I figure power will go out any moment. I have back up generators and heat lamps. Lots of hay and warm water. Do the best you can. If it's any consolation my goats are out grazing right now and it's upper 20s.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
As long as they have water and hay, they will be happier than you are. Pinch the loose skin on the side of their necks occasionally to check for dehydration...if it doesn't go back flat immediately after you pinch it, it is a sign of dehydration. You may need to bring buckets of warm water out once or twice a day if that is possible.
OP said she doesn't have running water either...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd filled the stock tank and was cracking the ice but they went through it all. So I bought water from Walmart and its gonna be a constant race to keep it full- at least until it warms up (maybe Wednesday). It's really hard because its so cold, we had to leave for a motel, 15 miles away.

Here is something I'm trying- and if anyone else has heard this, please let me know if it works for you too- fill up a gallon jug of water with 1 2/3 cup sea salt. Put it in the tank and it keeps the water surrounding the jug from freezing, which gives the animals a place to nudge around a get a drink.

(I'm trying this because of my water in my pipes not flowing due to ANOTHER day of electrical outage!).

Texas people- has it ever been this cold before??

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'd filled the stock tank and was cracking the ice but they went through it all. So I bought water from Walmart and its gonna be a constant race to keep it full- at least until it warms up (maybe Wednesday). It's really hard because its so cold, we had to leave for a motel, 15 miles away.

Here is something I'm trying- and if anyone else has heard this, please let me know if it works for you too- fill up a gallon jug of water with 1 2/3 cup sea salt. Put it in the tank and it keeps the water surrounding the jug from freezing, which gives the animals a place to nudge around a get a drink.

(I'm trying this because of my water in my pipes not flowing due to ANOTHER day of electrical outage!).

Texas people- has it ever been this cold before??
NO!!! It's never been this cold before that I can remember!!! We are not built for this! And we are predicted to get more snow too. (I know this is a walk in the park for our northern friends and they are probably shaking their heads and smiling, but this is rough). And yes, I have heard of the salt in a jug thing, but I don't know if it works...let me know if it does, I'm still hauling out warm water in buckets. Be safe. The roads where I live are starting to get slick.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
@senoradirt Oh no, that is rough that you have to leave and stay at a motel!

@JML Farms I totally understand that is is very hard on you guys! You wouldn't have the appropriate clothing/equipment/goat housing etc to deal with these temperatures the same way as we do.
I'm not smiling at your predicament.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am in the UK we are too suffering in parts of the country, it is almost record lows for history in Scotland, -23 centigrade against -27 centigrade ever, parts of the Thames has frozen, as has done sea water areas,my friend has been without water for 3 days,they had to get a tap off the mains and lug it,our house water is ok but outside. Everything is frozen,and the ground really really cold,one of my two females returned from breeding I have 2 stables and 2 girls and 1 wither,I wanted to keep the wither separate from the new mum who are the same age,the younger girl born last year sleeps in the second stable because the wither bullies her,so the mum to be is chasing the girl,I have had to bite the bullet put the younger girl in her usual stable and leave the bottom stable door for the new mum and the wither,the wither is really nicely natured with humans,but chases the girls off food,the ground is frozen no new snow and the weather forecast says tomorrow will put us in plus 10 centigrade,fingers crossed,because this cold weather is hellish.
hopefully the earlier comment that if they are out in the freezing cold when they could be in a nice sheltered area they will be ok and get in and snuggle for the night....me my feet are ice blokes......what tit wanted goats...oh urn that would be me.
I will slap the next person who claims this is global warming,from 1350 to the early 1800s there were snow fairs most winters the Thames was so frozen their had funfairs people tents and elephants walking around in London and those freezes often were up to 6 weeks each year, global warming my ......coughs....

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Hey there. I understand. In in Okla. We have a well. It froze Sat night. We put another milk jug heater in the well house. By 6:00 p.m. we had water again. Still no hot water in the back of the house. But all other areas do. We purchased 25 gallons of water from Walmart. We gave 8 gallons in 1 day..before the water came back on.
Cant you get water from the motel faucets? Once you have about 4 or 5 gallon jugs. You could refill at the motel.
I put auto dog waterers under a heat lamp inside a warming barrell. Its keeping the water from freezing. And the goats get the heat out of the barrell. Plus..no worries of fire..since the light is inside the barrell.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts