Best Milker

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by rancher, Jun 17, 2009.

1. rancher

rancher New Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Idaho
    What is the best breed to produce most quanity and best milk?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Everyone will chime in with their favorite breed but I do think that over all the Saanen's produce the most milk. Nubians have a higher butterfat though

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yeah, Saanens are typically the best producers quanity wise...probably because they are larger goats.

LaManchas and Nubians (in general) have the best tasting milk that I've tried although it can vary amoung individual goats. I've never had milk from a Nigerian or Pygmy but I hear it's good.

4. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    Yep, Saanans are generally the highest producer with the lowest butterfat.

Nubians have the highest butterfat of the standard breeds, with La Manchas coming next.

Nigerians and Pygmies have very high butterfat milk, but Pygmies don't produce much milk for the effort, and some lines of Nigerians don't either. So, if you are looking for Nigis make sure you find a good milking line, not a pet line. Some Nigis produce more (in some cases A LOT more) than some standards.

Basically, there is no hard and fast rule. The best thing you can do is find out what the stats are on a particular goat you are interested in and go from there.

Most of the time, the % of butterfat is directly related to the volume of milk produced. Generally speaking-and this is true for all the breeds-the higher the quantity, the lower the quality (milk solids, like protein and butterfat).

But again, it varies line by line and goat by goat (and, to some extent, what you are feeding!). There are certainly high producing lines that keep up with the butterfat and protein %.

5. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Quite a few Saanens produce a lot of milk. I raise LaManchas-they can tend to take a year or two to come into a good amount of milk-but so far most of mine are producing a good amount of milk.