Best Mineral to Help with Goat Horns

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Fire_Goat, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Fire_Goat

Fire_Goat Member

Jul 15, 2018
    Both my boys have horns. They are fed exactly the same feed, however one of my boy's horns are thin. They get sweet grain (14-16% protein), hay & oats as well as browsing in the field. What is the best mineral for helping to ensure they have strong horns?

2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    How old are the goats?

When they are young and go through big growth periods it is normal for horns to flake and think as they grow fast.

Regardless of horns - what do the goats have available for minerals? They need a loose mineral (which is the consistency of sand) rather than a block, lick, or bucket type mineral. There are good loose minerals marketed for goats, some cattle and horse minerals are also suitable.

Good options include:
    Sweetlix MeatMaker
    Purina Wind & Rain
    ADM GroStrong

there are many many others.

mariarose likes this.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Do you put out a good loose mineral?

4. Fire_Goat

Fire_Goat Member

Jul 15, 2018

Thank you for the response. My boys are 8 months old. I knew about horn flaking but this is the first I experienced it. I have done research on minerals, confusing, therefore I appreciate the information. I'll be looking at the loose minerals you recommended. Thank you!

SalteyLove likes this.
  5. Fire_Goat

Fire_Goat Member

Jul 15, 2018
    Thank you for your response. I will be looking at loose minerals as I currently don't have them as part of their diet. Thank you!

6. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Since minerals, like vitamins, work with each other, a quality loose mineral mix is the starting point, and then further deficiencies can be addressed from there.

A national brand/formulation is Cargill's Right Now, Onyx. This is in addition to the excellent options already given.

May we ask where you are? Because someone in your area may know of an excellent regional solution that might be even better than one of the national brands. One of the loose mineral mixes I use is a wonderful regional mix.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Growth is one reason.

Are they head butting a lot? Chipping off from that.

I agree with good loose minerals.
    Here are some things that can cause flaking. Calcium, phosphorous, magnesium and salt deficiencies can cause horn flaking issues.
    Protein deficiency is another which alfalfa hay can cure that. ;)

mariarose likes this.
  8. Fire_Goat

Fire_Goat Member

Jul 15, 2018
    We are in Colorado. Thanks again for the additional information and suggestions.

9. Fire_Goat

Fire_Goat Member

Jul 15, 2018
    Thank you for the reply. Yep, both boys like to head butt. The other boy's horns look great, plus they eat the same thing, hence my concern. They don't get alfalfa hay but as the temperature is starting to drop, I am starting them on alfalfa pellets. I'm checking their feed for those minerals as well as looking at adding loose minerals to their diet. I appreciate the information.

toth boer goats likes this.
  10. mariarose

Fire_Goat and toth boer goats like this.
  11. mariarose

What did you decide to do, @Fire_Goat? And how has it worked?

I know it is too soon for a long term evaluation...

toth boer goats and SalteyLove like this.
  12. Fire_Goat

Fire_Goat Member

Jul 15, 2018
    Hello there, I started using Manna Pro Goat Balancer supplement, adding it to their grain each evening. I also use lose minerals, just put that in a container, and they seem to be eating it occasionally. I have increased their hay ration, and added some oats to their diet as well since winter is is fast approaching. Our first snow was overnight (yeah!). I have noticed in that the one boys horns are looking a little thicker. That maybe the minerals or just as most people commented their growing, and thinning happens. Thanks for asking!