The Goat Spot Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Best minerals

5K views 38 replies 15 participants last post by  goatblessings 
#1 ·
What is the best brand of mineral for goats?
I have manna pro, but it’s very expensive for such a little bag. I was going to get Purina Goat mineral, but my tractor supplies doesn’t have it in stock, and amazon wants $40 for a 25lb bag which I think is a bit expensive. A another option I was going to get was Wind and Rain cattle mineral, but they only come in 50lb bags and I don’t want to get that much and spend the money, for my goats to not like it. What’s you guys opinion? And brands of mineral your goats like. Thanks

#9 · (Edited)
I use Sweetlix Meat Maker goat minerals and I know a lot of people like them. Other brands that are well liked are Purina Goat minerals, Purina Wind and Rain Cattle mineral, and Cargil Onyx. If I were you I would try to buy minerals in a 50lb. bag. That's going to save you a lot, and I think it's unlikely that they wouldn't eat it once they figure out what it is.

#10 ·
I use Sweetlix Meat Maker goat minerals and I know a lot of people like them. Other brands that are well liked are Purina Goat minerals, Purina Wind and Rain Cattle mineral, and Cargil Onyx.
:up:

We use purina goat mineral.

@NigerianDwarfOwner707 could probably help you pick which mineral is best for your goats

#23 ·
We have used a lot of mineral over the years and our does will only eat the Purina loose minerals. I'm hoping to get a bag of the DuraFerm Goat Concept-Aid minerals to try. I have heard it is expensive compared to other brands, but that it is really good. So I am hoping I can possibly find a dealer near us when I am ready to get more mineral. Last year I called around and couldn't find it, and when I did find one they mentioned $75? It is a 50lb. bag. I chatted with a rep on their FB page last summer and they said it is targeted for breeding animals but is good for all ages. So this is one I am definitely interested in.

DuraFerm® Goat Concept•Aid® - 50 lb. bag - DuraFerm

#25 ·
I switched over to Purina Wind & Rain last year and they love it -- when it is fresh!
No one here will eat any brand of minerals that's been out for more than a day or so.
I have another question about this mineral, do you put it out free choice? Or since it's for cattle and has a higher level of everything , do you only give them a little bit, or is it fine if they eat a lot ? Thanks a bunch

#33 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi there!

It depends on what you have available to you and where you are located.

Sweetlix is a really good mineral. Dura Ferm concept aid is close behind.

If you live in TN or KY, the best mineral I have ever seen is Co-op Supreme Goat Mineral.

I think Cargill's Onyx is okay but I would probably still choose sweetlix. That or Purina Goat Mineral.

I don't love Purina's Cattle Mineral/Wind & Rain, nor do I love Manna Pro - but I would choose MP over Purina Cattle.

MP has high quality minerals in the ingredients, just not enough of them!!

What's important is that you know why a mineral is a good mineral - brand doesn't matter, learn how to read a GA and ingredients list label:

#36 ·
I also use Sweetlix Meat Maker for my does. I give Manna Pro to the boys because it has extra ammonium chloride but they get Sweetlix every once in awhile and they prefer that. It's not super cheap and I had a hard time finding someone to order it locally but I finally did. Before that I was buying it on Jeffers and spending $18 on shipping which was absolutely ludicrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.