The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
59,256 Posts
The best wormer is the one that takes care of the parasites they have. Get a fecal done to include coccidia first. Then treat appropriately.

·
Registered
31,039 Posts
While a fecal important to know what you're dealing with if anything..should not deworm unless needed..however if they are anemic and need deworming...I would collect a fecal then deworm with valbazen (not for pregnant does) or equamax horse paste to get them started. Both these dewormers are broad spectrum dewormers.

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have a fecal done to see what worms need treated for. Then we can help pick a wormer if you need help then. ;). Different wormers treat different worms.
I am confused. Our vet told us we should check their gums or under top eyelids to make sure it was pink and if not worm them with Prohibit. Just was curious if there was another option. So I need to get a fecal done through my vet? How often should I do this? And do I need a fecal done on each goat so I need to watch them to know who's poop is whose?

·
Fair-Haven
4,797 Posts
Gums will not show much - best to do under the eyelid. I wouldn't worm without a fecal. Prohibit is something that can be used, but also not for pregnant goats, and really my last option - do get a fecal run. If you have only a couple of goats, then yes do a sample for all. Fecals are usually very inexpensive.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,450 Posts
Oh goodness. Three things are wrong in what your vet said. 1. Do not check gums they aren't accurate. 2. Checking eyelids is what is called FAMACHA scoring, and it will tell you if the goat is burdened by one species of worm, barberpole worm. It's good to monitor this, as if they go pale you know you need to worm, but a fecal tells you a lot of things that you need to know. You should monitor FAMACHA scores and if you see one getting pale you should run a fecal. 3. Prohibit is a super strong dewormer. It's a last ditch wormer. It can kill a goat if they are weak. There are many other ones to go to before that.

Fecal tests are very cheap. Send to www.meadowmistlabservice.com . You just watch the goat until they poop, pick it up in a ziplock bag labeled with their name, then mail it out in a box with an ice pack to keep it cool. Costs 5 dollars.

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gums will not show much - best to do under the eyelid. I wouldn't worm without a fecal. Prohibit is something that can be used, but also not for pregnant goats, and really my last option - do get a fecal run. If you have only a couple of goats, then yes do a sample for all. Fecals are usually very inexpensive.
How often should I get a fecal done?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts