The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nearly two year old Alpine went into heat for the first time yesterday. She was wagging her tail, baaaing pathetically, and pacing. I walked her down past my neighbor's saannen bucks, and she seemed interested, so we drove her to the Alpine buck. He managed to breed her at least twice, but she was trying to fight with him and was running away most of the time. Now, this morning she is running to the far side of the pasture; trying to get to the saannen bucks. My question is, did I have her bred too early in her heat? I hope that won't cause her to not become pregnant, it is getting really late in the year!

· Administrator
96,026 Posts
I would have her with a buck, until she goes out(not showing interest in a buck). When a doe comes in heat, she will flag, ride other does, pace ect. It doesn't mean, she is in standing heat. By the next day or a bit sooner, she will go into standing heat, it is like a switch, one moment she is running from the buck, then the next, she is standing for him. Which, could be for 2 days or less at a norm, as soon as she starts running from the buck, she is out of estrus.

· Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would have left her there, but the buck's owner didn't have a pen to keep her and the buck apart from their other 2 bucks. I just checked on her again, and now she isn't even acting like she is in heat anymore. :chin: Goats never cease to baffle me. I suppose I will just watch and see if she comes into heat again. :shrug:

· Administrator
96,026 Posts
Write it down on the calender and re-check her in 18 to 21 days. Hope she took, the sperm does last a while in there, so, there is a chance that she may take, if the egg was dropped as the right moment, good luck.;-)

· Registered
3,790 Posts
If it's not too much trouble, it might be best to take her to the Alpine again. When I take one of my does to an outside buck, I try and get them there 24hours after they *first* go in to heat and then leave them there at least 24 hours.

I have to say though, sperm from a live breeding like you had lasts awhile and there is a decent chance she will conceive anyway on just that one early cover.

· Registered
198 Posts
Fresh semen can live up to 48 hours so as long as it wasn't 48 hours before she went out of heat you are probably okay. Does don't stop being in heat just because they have been bred.

Plus, if you breed them earlier in the heat cycle you are more like to get doe kids, or that is the way the theory goes.

I would definately check her in 21-ish days but if she was in heat before you drove to the buck and in heat after, it will most likely be alright.

Is your Lamancha getting an udder yet?

· Registered
380 Posts
For me I subscribe to the theory that the earliest you can get the doe bred the better since she is more likely to have does.

Of course this means she may be bred too early but not usually.

However if you are AI'ing you want when the doe is in full standing heat because she's most likely to take.

I have bred does and had them in heat 36 h later and still they took.

· Registered
3,790 Posts
For me I subscribe to the theory that the earliest you can get the doe bred the better since she is more likely to have does.
That's what Leslie from Leaning Tree told me last year and she was sort of insinuating I messed up by not bringing my doe until over 24 hours after she'd been in heat.... triplet does. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.