Best stomach tube brand

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by NigerianDwarfOwner707, Jul 29, 2020.

1. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Best stomach tube brand for kids? Thanks!

2. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I like these ones from valley vet, I’m sure Jeffers and other places carry them as well. Just make sure you pick up a feeding syringe as well. But it is small enough and long enough but not too long I can usually tube them on my own.
    Primeer1 has this tube attached to a cup. I thought that was such a great idea. It’s crap! The tube is much more larger then this one so unless it’s a older kid it’s not going down very nicely. I did have to use on a two month old boer, did fine with her, but the cup was a royal pain to deal with on my own because it was larger then the feeding syringe. Then again I’m a classic “can’t teach a old dog a new trick” :shrug:

3. Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    I don't know if it is the *best*, but this is what we used when we needed to tube a goat I had purchased from out of state (He has some "issues" and wouldn't take a bottle, thought we were going to lose him)

https://www.jefferspet.com/products/weak-kid-syringe

4. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    A picture of the one I like probably would have been helpful
    IMG_2750.jpg

toth boer goats likes this.
  5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    The one from Valley Vet works great. Measure on the kid from mouth to about where the stomach is and mark the tube, (before you put it down their throat) so you can tell when you hit the stomach. Always listen to hear stomach and not breathing. Also, when you pull it out, put your thumb over the opening of the tube so no milk (or whatever) runs into the lungs while you are pulling the tube out.

6. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Wonderful tips!! Many thanks!!

7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Another suggestion, either fill the big dosage syringe that comes with the feeding tube. (2 people is really helpful) insert the tube, then attach the syringe, then have the other person either gently and slowly push the plunger or I prefer to let gravity work and pour the milk (or whatever) into the syringe and not use the plunger. Either way works well. Just don't blast it into the kid!

toth boer goats likes this.