The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For several years in a row, I find tapeworm segments in my kids' stool regularly. I've never treated it because they seem to turn out just as good as other goats. They do seem to grow a little slower and have slight pot bellies, but I don't breed till second year anyway, and by then they're big and healthy. They seem to grow out of the tapeworms. Should I de worm the kids that I have been seeing segments in? My worming schedule tends to be Safe-Guard to fresh does the day they kid and then herbal dewormer throughout the year. The herbal stuff seems to help, but not cure the problem. Is there a specific dewormer for tapeworms?

·
Super Moderator
32,242 Posts
I use land of havilah parasite herbal formula and that seems to work well. You could add clove and Cinnamon to your herbal to boost tape worm cleaner.
Chemical wise safeguard 5 days in a row, valabzen 5 days in a row or Praziquantel once.

Reactions: ksalvagno

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use land of havilah parasite herbal formula and that seems to work well. You could add clove and Cinnamon to your herbal to boost tape worm cleaner.
Chemical wise safeguard 5 days in a row, valabzen 5 days in a row or Praziquantel once.
They're due for their herbal dewormer anyway, so I'll add those and try that first. Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
This may be controversial and I don't mean it to be, I'm just throwing it out there because it's what I've found while I'm researching and waiting for my goats... BUT, some experts don't feel as though tapeworm cause a real threat.

Here is a quote from one expert, "So the big question is: When I see the tapeworms, do I need to treat that? Do I need to get rid of them? And the answer is: No, not really. If the animals seem fine, if the animals are in good shape, there probably is not a compelling reason to treat them for tapeworms if you just see a few segments. And, in fact, it’s very probable that using the white drenches, like Valbazen and Safe-guard… Using those products a lot to treat tapeworms, because of the concern people had about tapeworms, just added to the use of those drugs that contributed to the development of drug resistance in barber pole worms. So, in fact, we don’t want to be treating unnecessarily for tapeworms."

This is from a segment (tapeworm pun lol), of this podcast: Common But Unimportant Worms in Goats

You can read the show notes there.

·
Super Moderator
32,242 Posts
Thank you for your insite on tape worm. And welcome once again to TGS!
While I agree with the last statement," So, in fact, we don’t want to be treating unnecessarily for tapeworms."
I disagree with it being an unimportant worm to be concerned about. Certainly in small numbers we don't worry as goats have parasites and need to build an immune against them. However Tape worms in high amounts do cause issue to be concerned with. Stunted growth, pot bellies and in some severe cases tape become tangled up in poop causing an emergency situation. I have seen heavy loads drag a baby goat down. Our rule of thumb is if we see them in their berries,we address them. In heavy loads you have to watch for the goat pooping as entanglement happens and makes it hard or impossible to poop. I have seen the kill off of tape worm cause toxicity in a young goat. Like with all deworming we should take care not to deworm unnecessarily. Goat-link.com has a page on a little goat who had tape worm. Might look that up to see her little one. So yes. Don't panic and treat low levels of any parasite. But if heavy loaded it's needed. We do need to protect what deqormers we have left that work.

Reactions: NigerianNewbie
1 - 5 of 5 Posts