Best thing to get production back up?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by thekibblegoddess, May 15, 2016.

1. thekibblegoddess

thekibblegoddess Member

Dec 13, 2014
    Sylvania, GA
    My doe's output has dropped precipitously from 6#/day to 4#/day. The only changes have been that last Tuesday 2 of her 3 bucklings went home @ 8 weeks, and Wednesday she had her last does of Valbazen, @ 6 ml. Since Thursday AM i get only 4#. What is the best thing i can do to get her production back to 6#?

2. lovinglife

lovinglife Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    What are you feeding? Alfalfa helps with production.

3. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Are you milking twice a day or once a day? Did your milking schedule change at all when the kids left? Were they still nursing?

4. thekibblegoddess

thekibblegoddess Member

Dec 13, 2014
    Sylvania, GA
    Milking once a day in the AM. The kids were still nursing. She gave 5.5# this AM without me changing a thing. but i would really like to get her back to 6#. If i add in a PM milking, how long do i need to separate her remaining kid before milking? 2 hours? more? Right now he's put up from 7 PM to 7 AM.

5. thekibblegoddess

thekibblegoddess Member

Dec 13, 2014
    Sylvania, GA
    Sometimes I am such a bean-brain. It finally occurred to me to check my milk records. Every time I wormed Derby with Valbazen, her milk production dropped by up to half the next day. In my defense, having the babies go home the same time I wormed her threw me. I thought the drop MUST have had something to do with the babies leaving. The good news, she was back to 5.5# today, and we’re hoping for 6# tomorrow. All is well.