The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there’s a time of day when it’s best to check Famachas! Thanks!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
I like to check in the morning. Not when they are sleepy in the morning, but after they have moved and foraged etc. about when they are eating their morning hay. The middle of the day tends to be my goats’ sleepy time. The best time is an active time. And this is individualized. So whenever your goats are more active, that’s the best time.

I check my own eyelids, I’ll pull mine down when I wake up and I’ll notice they are lighter colors than after I’ve taken a jog or something. So yes, that does matter.

Heat affects it simply because more heat makes everyone more lazy and move less.

Anyway, it’s really subjective and I’m actually not a huge fan of FAMACHA scoring for these reasons. My rule is if they are the same light color or worsen over the course of checking every day for 3 days, something is up. However, if they are light one day and then fine the next I don’t mind.

I didn’t really realize just how subjective FAMACHA is until I started checking my own eyelids. I know it sounds weird, but you’d be very amazed how different it can get on the same day.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like to check in the morning. Not when they are sleepy in the morning, but after they have moved and foraged etc. about when they are eating their morning hay. The middle of the day tends to be my goats' sleepy time. The best time is an active time. And this is individualized. So whenever your goats are more active, that's the best time.

I check my own eyelids, I'll pull mine down when I wake up and I'll notice they are lighter colors than after I've taken a jog or something. So yes, that does matter.

Heat affects it simply because more heat makes everyone more lazy and move less.

Anyway, it's really subjective and I'm actually not a huge fan of FAMACHA scoring for these reasons. My rule is if they are the same light color or worsen over the course of checking every day for 3 days, something is up. However, if they are light one day and then fine the next I don't mind.

I didn't really realize just how subjective FAMACHA is until I started checking my own eyelids. I know it sounds weird, but you'd be very amazed how different it can get on the same day.
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense too. I am actually getting a fecal test done today because I do Fir Meadows herbal deworming and want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I was wondering how accurate the FAMACHA can be but I know it takes on many factors, not just the score itself.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,532 Posts
I check, same as above. During an active phase and also during a rest phase and make a judgment.

Actually, I check it anytime my hands are on a goat honestly. I see it everyday. It can and will change depending on whats going on. It's a tool that should be used along with other symptoms. If I have someone showing white (or super light) and they look healthy otherwise, I heck again a couple of different times in the day. If they look poorly in addition to light eyes, then I run my fecal. But because I have my hands on mine at least twice a day, I start to notice signs typically before light eyes.

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
I too check anytime my hands are on the goat. They are all prepared for the eye pull!! lol. But most important is good direct sunlight and be quick to make a decision. The longer the membrane is exposed to light the deeper in color it can become giving a false score. Because the score can be in the "eye of the beholder" it can be subjective. Famacha is just one tool we use. It helps alert us if there is an issue. We also should use fecals and over all condition of the goat. More boxes you can check the better idea you have on the worm load health of the goat.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
I too check anytime my hands are on the goat. They are all prepared for the eye pull!! lol. But most important is good direct sunlight and be quick to make a decision. The longer the membrane is exposed to light the deeper in color it can become giving a false score. Because the score can be in the "eye of the beholder" it can be subjective. Famacha is just one tool we use. It helps alert us if there is an issue. We also should use fecals and over all condition of the goat. More boxes you can check the better idea you have on the worm load health of the goat.
I know supposedly they get darker after being held open, but I've noticed that they get lighter. Also, you ever notice how if you press on your skin that spot often looks light in the shape of your finger for a couple seconds when you let go? I've found if you apply too much pressure and squeeze the eye too hard it also makes it lighter in color.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Again I love that FAMACHA can tell you a bit of information if you have a sick goat or reason to believe something is wrong, but it’s incredibly subjective.

For instance, mine are in good condition (maybe slightly to chubby on one haha), happy, eat well, pooping pellets, AND clean fecals (only saw one whipworm egg in the last fecal, and did a sedimentation and are also clear of flukes and lungworm in that) all those things you’d look at to determine whether a goat is parasite free or not. I had Deborah Neimann herself tell me that my goats look parasite free and in good body condition. Anyway,. With all of this, some days I’ll notice my goats have light eyelids. Some days it persists longer, and then a week later a bright bright pink.

If anyone looked at just the FAMACHA scores of my goats when they have been at their worst, they would immediately treat mine for barberpole. However, as I conversed with Deborah (for those of you who don’t know her, she is the author of Raising Goats Naturally), she said if poop and body condition is fine then not to worry.

So I would take note that FAMACHA is NOT the be all end all, and the entire goat should be looked over and even tested to form an actual opinion on whether worming is necessary or not.

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
I know supposedly they get darker after being held open, but I've noticed that they get lighter.
There is a clear and simple reason for this...They are Goats LOL..they never stick to the rules LOL But seriously, this is where knowing each and every one in your herd is important. Like knowing thier normal temp. We have a range of 101.5-103.5 but some run 101 and other 104 as their norm. Know your herd is your best tool!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
There is a clear and simple reason for this...They are Goats LOL..they never stick to the rules LOL But seriously, this is where knowing each and every one in your herd is important. Like knowing thier normal temp. We have a range of 101.5-103.5 but some run 101 and other 104 as their norm. Know your herd is your best tool!
Mine run around 102.5 ;);)

I made a health observation tracker, and I journal as well. Every quirk and baseline recorded from when I first got them to now.

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
I made a health observation tracker
A tracker as in on your phone or?? Im old fashion I guess, ( not that Im old :waiting: lol) I have a binder and each goat has its own page with B day, weight and kiddings, illnesses and so forth.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
A tracker as in on your phone or?? Im old fashion I guess, ( not that Im old :waiting: lol) I have a binder and each goat has its own page with B day, weight and kiddings, illnesses and so forth.
Yep me too. My "tracker" is a compilation of charts where I can log info into my farm binder.

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
Hum..Im curious now..Im going to do an experiment here..Im going to check morning, afternoon and evening and see what I get...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts