Best time to band the little guys

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by Myakkagoater, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    I heard that it is best to band at about 3 - 4 weeks from some. And I have heard much later due to it stops the penis growth. What is the correct time?

Tom

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Umm...it will not stop penis growth no matter when it's done.

We band our bucklings at 6 to 10 weeks...eight weeks for me is ideal, but depending on the size of the kid give or take a week or two. We have nigerians. Other breeds might vary a bit.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh my....no it doesn't stop penis growth....

with the boers... we band at 2.5 to 3 months old.....
    the bigger the better ...as long as you can get both testicles in the band........so the urethra has a chance to develop and less chance of later getting urinary calculi..... :wink:

4. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

We do our nigerians at 7 to 8 weeks of age. Bucklings in this breed can be known to breed as early as 8 weeks of age. Another reason we do it at that age is because we sell all of our wethers..weaning age is 8 weeks here so they are usually heading to their new homes at that time.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Doesnt matter how big that urethra is the very tip (pizzel) is so tiny that even a pin size stone can get lodged in there and create a blockage, so I band whenever the two have dropped.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I band on the average of 12 weeks, (Three months). I do it so they have a little more time to develope. If they are developing faster, then I will band them sooner.

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have had no issues with banding them later....I do like Lori does...it gives them a better start...... IMO.... Also... I have had some... that didn't look like much... at 1 month old... but turned out at 2.5 to 3 months old...... to be exceptional...... they can change so much..........
    I have in the past....... did it to soon and regretted it later....you can't take it back...... now I wait it out.... :p

8. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    We banded at 8 weeks but next year we will wean/separate them at 8 weeks. This year we didn't have a separate area we could put the boys in so that impacted our decision. But now that we have separate area we will wait.

As previously mentioned there can be a big difference in how they look at 1 month verses 3 months. We had one boy if left intact I could have just sold him to someone that contacted me looking for a buck but didn't care if he was registered. Oh well...

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh of course waiting doesnt hurt but I already know by the time they are born if I will even be willing to keep them intact. If so then those I wait longer on. But any that I plan to wether from the start are wethered by the time they are big enough to do so.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I normally band at 6 weeks, they are leaving for pet homes at 8 weeks and this way I can moniter them a bit before they leave...makes it easier on my mind when I know there won't be any problems after they leave me.

12. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010

Agree, that is about when we did ours (well it was closer to the 7 week time), but now i am scared b/c the boys were pretty "active" and all the does came into heat, so i hope I don't end up with pregnant does again - it's too soon. But I wanted to watch them for a couple weeks before they went to new homes.