The Goat Spot Forum banner

181 - 200 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Ok ladies let me tell you, ultrasounding cows is NOT a easy task! Not because they are big and impossible to keep from jumping around trying to break your arm but because the calf’s are SO much bigger! I can now see why there is different parts to measure on the calf to tell you how far along on this machine. But my mom can tell if they are 6+. So I found a part of a moving leg and then had her check. She said probably between 6-7. The next one I could see the fluid around another leg but I couldn’t pic up anything to measure because she was a nasty winch, so I’m guessing 3 since it looked half the size of the other leg lol seemed like good logic yeah? LMBO! But winch and all dad said she’s gone so we are going to pay to have her preg checked and I’ll see how right or wrong I am.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Awe that is cool! Congrats! We have a doe that is due in August. I am looking forward to seeing what late summer early fall kidding is like! I think it might be great.
We have one due mid June too so really starting to get excited and prepping for kids! Hope all goes well with your doe!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
So sorry for my delayed response! It has been crazy this month lol. I definitely see three. Let's all avoid looking for a forth LOL. Sugar is going to have her hooves full - introducing Cinnamon, Spice, and Nutmeg

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
ALBoergoats: WOW. That is really good to know. We are in Northern Oregon. So Oct/Nov might be a good time to have babies here too. Not sure. It is definately hot here in August. So I am not looking forward to that. But it will be nice to not need to use heat lamps! lol. I think Aug/Sept probably would be the best time to have kids here. But we really like June birthing here. Then babies can grow up during the summer. It works well for us. By Christmas we like to have them sold and off to good homes. We wean them late tho. Because we want them to have the best start possible. We don't have a large herd so we can do that. Not sure what other people do but that is what we do. =)

Carly: LOLOLOL! That is so funny about Sugar....Cinnamon, Spice and Nutmeg! lol. Yes I was a little scared I saw a fourth but let's not look for a fourth! I agree!! lol! Wow both our girls who are kidding this year are having triplets! Must be the triplet year! Did you guys have alot of triplets this year?
I know your farm has been slammed with kidding this month! I need to go post on your thread. I hope all is going well! It was going well last time I posted. Hope everyone grows up to be beautiful Ohio Boers! Still wish one of your bucks lived in Oregon! I have a solid red doe I need to breed in October or Nov and I am trying to find a really pretty black or dappled buck here.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
We’ve only had two sets of triplets this year! Even a doe that’s been known to give triplets and quads gave twins. We got a few singles from girls that have given us twins in the past too... I won’t complain though. Twins are our favorite!

Yes, it has been crazy! Almost 20 kids in two weeks. That may not be a lot for other farms, but we’ve always spread them out. Having all of them kid that close together is new for us. It actually helps a lot because now I am worry free for the next 7 months!

You’ll have to bring one of our boys your way! Lol I’m sure they’d love Oregon. Just had some does arrive in North Dakota! They’ll be a little chilly for a while lol.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
So just figured I would share my cattle ultrasounding adventure lol.
The ones that I did before We went ahead and had a vet preg check them at the sale and I was in fact correct on who was and wasn't bred but so very very off on how far along they were. One I swore I saw a leg was only 1 month bred so yeah, I kinda failed on that lol
So today we got a few more ladies is. I decided to go ahead and try the anal probe (gosh that sounds terrible but I don't know what else to call it lol) I did it a little differently this time. 1 I didn't clean them out first like you would on palpating, and I didn't use a liner. I just went for it. SO MUCH BETTER! I could make things out way better this time. My helpers failed me on pictures and this is the only one the got
IMG_2240.jpg
I know for a fact she is 28 days along. I saw the deed being done.
The one I REALLY wish someone got a video of was the 7+ cow. That was probably the coolest thing ever. Not only could I feel the calf in there but I was able to make out every part of his head and ribs and everything. My sister in law said I sounded like a little girl laughing but it was awesome.
But you guys seriously be super super careful with your probes! When I was done I went to hand it off to my daughter so I could get out of the laneway and it just tapped the squeeze. It broke some of the crystals at the top of the probe and now I have lines. It's not totally junk now, I can make most of the screen out still. But I went on to find a replacement and the one for the goats is $400. I can't find this probe yet. I was very shocked at how easy it broke.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
It was so awesome. I need to find this one site that I had found a long time ago that you can measure smaller things like the eye socket to see how far along they are. On the machine it has head, spine, and stomach measurements that will tell you how far long but there was no getting that all in one picture. I only know she was 7 because when I tried to teach myself how to palpate in the past it said if you can feel the calf at 7 months.
Yeah I didn’t want anyone to get as discouraged as I was over breaking it. I did finally find a replacement one last night on eBay and it also is $400. At least I know it’s out there if I do end up breaking it more.

181 - 200 of 266 Posts