The Goat Spot Forum banner

201 - 220 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Yeah that’s what I thought too but everyone thinks things should be free lol I probably wouldn’t do cattle anyways. Most people around here just have their pet back yard cow and almost as bad as horse people not understanding that they are big and could cause some serious injuries if they don’t have the right equipment to hold them. Just because they love on you doesn’t mean they won’t kick you if scared or don’t like something. Even the heifer I did yesterday is the most down to earth thing ever. We can pet her all over and when I got her in the laneway I rubbed her bag and everything and she just stood there. As soon as I tried to ultrasound from the outside she tried to kick me. So she went into the squeeze.
But I figure If someone wants to pay for a goat to be done I’ll do it, if not no big deal, it will pay its self off just with mine and my parents animals

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Yeah I have been using the ultrasound for my herd. Rey is due within a week or so. So guess we will see if the ultrasound was right. But she sure looks like triplets. I just posted a thread for our farm for kidding. We have one due this month and one due in Aug. Can't wait for babies!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I can't see ultrasounds (humans or animals) so embarrassed I can't see it.

Good luck on your kidding, post pics of them when born please. :kid::kid2::kid3:

If anyone has tips in how to read and ultrasound please share. ( Because if a vet shows me that I will just nod my head and said yes I see it)(blush)(doh)(headsmash)(doh)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Good question! Sorry we didn’t make that clear. But I do think the video county line posted sorta early in this thread she points to the babies I think. If I remember right. I look for dark spots. If you look on the ultrasounds we posted you can see them. Sorta round spots. Confirms pregnancy and you look for how many. Sometimes one of the pregnancies doesn’t develop. The fetus. In my most recent kidding that was the case. One of the sacks didn’t fully develop. But we think we saw it come out with placenta. I have had a doe push out a sac last time we kidded and no baby was in the sack.
Hope I answered your question.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Good question! Sorry we didn't make that clear. But I do think the video county line posted sorta early in this thread she points to the babies I think. If I remember right. I look for dark spots. If you look on the ultrasounds we posted you can see them. Sorta round spots. Confirms pregnancy and you look for how many. Sometimes one of the pregnancies doesn't develop. The fetus. In my most recent kidding that was the case. One of the sacks didn't fully develop. But we think we saw it come out with placenta. I have had a doe push out a sac last time we kidded and no baby was in the sack.
Hope I answered your question.
Thanks a lot. That does help. Now I won't have to lie to anyone when they show me an ultrasound that I can see something in the ultrasound.

Thanks a lot again. :):ty:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
No worries about asking questions! I’m not a expert but happy to answer questions!

You can see them best if you wait til around 40 days. That’s what we’ve found but we are new to ultrasounding. I think it’s possible to see them at 30 days if an expert? But I’m not a expert. Lol

I’d recommend going back and watching the videos posted on this thread. We do show babies I believe quite a few times. Hopefully with my description you can see them? Hope that info helps.

It’s so fun! Really glad we bought a machine. Saves on vet bills!

·
Registered
476 Posts
No worries about asking questions! I'm not a expert but happy to answer questions!

You can see them best if you wait til around 40 days. That's what we've found but we are new to ultrasounding. I think it's possible to see them at 30 days if an expert? But I'm not a expert. Lol

I'd recommend going back and watching the videos posted on this thread. We do show babies I believe quite a few times. Hopefully with my description you can see them? Hope that info helps.

It's so fun! Really glad we bought a machine. Saves on vet bills!
Thanks a lot and yep that is one more expense gone. Hooray

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I worried about the same thing before I got mine. I would see ultrasound pictures and couldn’t make out one thing on it. But it’s quite easy. Like buck naked Boers said on the ones shorter bred it’s more the black spots your looking for. In the very bred does it’s harder to make things out but even then if you can locate a kid you can usually start putting the pieces together or what your looking at as it moves around. I totally forgot all about the first ultrasound video I did. I’ll have to see if I can find It and post to YouTube and share but it was actually the kids heart that I made out first. But just to confirm pregnancy i think it’s super easy to figure out. Counting seems to be a little more of a challenge to me but I’m hoping after I get the girls bred and have a bunch of practicing to do I’ll get it down. Ok my chore for today is to find that video

·
Registered
476 Posts
I worried about the same thing before I got mine. I would see ultrasound pictures and couldn't make out one thing on it. But it's quite easy. Like buck naked Boers said on the ones shorter bred it's more the black spots your looking for. In the very bred does it's harder to make things out but even then if you can locate a kid you can usually start putting the pieces together or what your looking at as it moves around. I totally forgot all about the first ultrasound video I did. I'll have to see if I can find It and post to YouTube and share but it was actually the kids heart that I made out first. But just to confirm pregnancy i think it's super easy to figure out. Counting seems to be a little more of a challenge to me but I'm hoping after I get the girls bred and have a bunch of practicing to do I'll get it down. Ok my chore for today is to find that video
Thanks really helpful

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
That is so cool! Yes, this thread has been a huge help to me too! Our next doe is due mid aug so will see if our guess was correct. I was sure I saw two but thought maybe 3? Will see. Our other doe we thought had three but she gave birth to two. lol.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I thought I would come on and give my update on this topic:
So word kinda just spread that I had a ultrasound machine and quite a few people were wanting me to US for them. With the Contec I was having a hard time getting a nice clear picture (like CountryLineAcres had in her video) no matter how hard I pushed and how much gel I used. It was always fuzzy and on short bred does i was having a hard time really being sure what I was seeing. So it would end up that I would have the people wait and come back, which was annoying for both them and me.
I went ahead and contacted a VIS ScanPad rep and talked to her about the issue I was having and asked if she thought that the VIS would be better. We talked it out and I decided to pay the OMG price and get the ScanPad........while being super nervous that I was the issue not the machine.
I finally got it a little over a week ago, I got a 45 day bred doe and put on the stand and right away I was super impressed with the difference. Here is a picture of one of her three kids (I don't feel like waiting forever for YouTube to load the video)
IMG_4060.jpg

The next day I did 25 sheep, here is one of their little heads
IMG_4021.jpg

And since there was a huge debate in my family on what exactly one is seeing lol here is the eye nose and mouth drawn in
IMG_4061.jpg

And since it seemed like everyone wanted to see what the new machine did my friend asked me to check her lamancha doe, here is a little butt at 80 days right above the solid white in the black
IMG_4058.jpg

And the top of the other babies head
IMG_4059.jpg

The picture is so much more clearer, there is more play room on all the settings to get a even better picture of what you are seeing, and the screen is a LOT larger then the Contec. The convex probe is lighter and doesn't seem to have such a steep U shape to it so I am getting a better connection and using way less gel.
I don't know if I would have paid the price if I was only doing my goats, it wouldn't be the end of the world to have to wait a little longer to be absolutely sure they are bred, but when people are paying me I want to be 100% sure and not have to keep going back and redoing scans, which I wasn't charging for rescans so was a waste of gas. I am waiting a few more days and will scan one of my does right at 30 days and see what that looks like.
But anyways I thought I would share

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Thanks for sharing this information Jessica. Sorry for my late response. My daughter is using our contec also to check some people’s goats (and even checked a dog )who would like to see if their does are pregnant. She hasn’t really had a difficult time seeing.
But this is neat. How much did it cost? The images are clear for sure.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Oh no worries I just wanted to share :) I am having a absolute blast with it and am really happy with it.
Well I bought 2 probes with it since I want to be able to check the cows with it too (if someone would weld a pipe back on my laneway so I can play with it......very touch subject lol) I believe the second probe was $950 so that would be 2,650 for the machine and one probe. As always no matter how long or deep I look into it seems like there is something else that is out there that I should have gone with lol there is a scanX which is a bit less money. It is the same exact thing just instead of getting the actual machine to go with it you can plug into a tablet. It gives the same great image and everything your just simply viewing it on a tablet instead of this screen. But I won’t regret getting it lol.
CountryLineAcres when you are ready and you price check know that if you get it straight from the UK that you might run into the same issue I did. It took awhile for it to actually get to the US, really not that long maybe a week, anyways but then we ran into a snag. Customs would not release it without a radiation analyses, even though radiation has NOTHING to do with a ultrasound! That took awhile for the rep to get threw and explain things to them for them to release it. It really was worth the savings but it was frustrating and I can see how some people would rather just buy within the US.

201 - 220 of 266 Posts