The Goat Spot Forum banner

161 - 180 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #162 (Edited)
Jessica and Carlee: Thanks for giving us your thoughts on what you saw!
Yeyyyy yes!!! We are super excited that we saw babies today!!

We will be rechecking sugar again in a few days. We will keep you posted.

Hope your families are all doing well and your all healthy. We are doing well!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Awww thank you buck naked Boers! We are all good here! Make sure you think of us when you do it again ;) I like to see the videos. I’m practicing self control and not taking another look at Gypsies babies lol

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
You’re welcome! Yes we will post here when we ultrasound again. Please Carlee and Jessica when you guys ultrasound make sure and post video here for us all. I am still very much learning what to look for.

How far is gypsy now?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
She’s due June 5th so about 3 1/2 months along now. It almost to the point where I don’t know if I can wait any longer lol I just try not to think about it. The good thing is we are getting a lease contract with BLM and will be shipping cows soon, and then I need to give vaccines and do feet soon so I SHOULD stay busy and HOPEFULLY time flies.
And I sure will post videos when I do it. I’m really hoping dad has some Cows for me to do just for his curiosity. I would really like to play with that more

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Ok so she is due about a week-week and half before our doe REY. Rey is due mid June. I really like June babies! In my estimation it’s the best month to have babies! They have all summer to grow up. Less chance for upper respiratory issues due to cold or temp fluctuations.

Next year we will have one doe kidding earlier I think but otherwise June is our favorite month for kidding.

This year our doe Sugar will be due mid August which is our most warm month. But we usually don’t have more than one or two 100 days typically in 80s or 90s in late July or aug here.

Sounds like you will be busy with vaccines and feet and shipping soon!

We are catching up with so much stuff here on the farm! I’m not complaining about being quarantined! Lol. This has been helpful to slow down life so we can catch up around the farm without having to drive here or there!

We will be ultrasounding sugar again maybe tomorrow as she’d be 35 days. If not tomorrow uktrasounding for sure next Monday at 40 days.

She’s definitely acting pregnant. Lol.

Oh thanks for posting video when you ultrasound. We will do the same. Hoping Carlee will do that too.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Sadly, there no more ultrasounding for us until this fall. We are kidding in May, and then breeding in August for Jan 2021 kids. However, I will be breaking it out for one doe that hasn’t made an udder yet and is 3-4 weeks away. All our girls were showing at 8 weeks, so I have a feeling she isn’t pregnant. Which is okay! She got mastitis last year when drying up and then got a worm issue from the stress of everything. She looks good now, so I’m hoping all that weight isn’t babies lol.

Can’t wait to see your guys’ ultrasound!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
None for me for awhile either :sigh: unless maybe my dad finally comes threw on his promise I can do some cows lol
But I’m planning on, hopefully AIing in June and then kicking the boys out in July. Maybe kick boys out in June and hold the AI girls back. Honestly just depends on when I get vaccines and feet done.
Buck naked make sure you try and count kids and then we will test you in 4 months lol

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Carlee: Hope all the kidding in May goes well! We will all be drooling I am sure over all the pretty colorful babies you all get! Sounds like that doe might just need a break from breeding since she had mastitis and worms...so maybe that wouldn't be bad if she were not pregnant. But......maybe her weight is babies! Update us! Hope your farm has a great week!

Jessica: Gypsy is the doe of yours due in June right? Hope all goes well for her birthing too! So you will be AIing in June? So babies in November? That's great!! I think we are planning to breed in November at least one of our does for April 2021 babies. LOL yes I will count as best as we can the babies! Yes the test in August for sure! Hoping she doesn't have more than 3! She only has had twins before. Our doe due in June looks to be having triplets tho. It is her first time. So not sure how things will go. But her mom had triplets first time too and did fine feeding them all. So will see! Hope your farm has a great week!

We haven't ever AI'ed. Is it difficult? Do you have someone do that for your girls? I saw a farm do that once. They sorta knocked out the doe's and put them in this contraption where they were flipped upside down I think. It was awful. I wouldn't want to do that! Is that how you AI on your farm? No judging here....just curious. I'd like to be able to AI but only if it was humane. And how I saw that done on a farm...I felt it was sorta inhumane. Just my opinion.

I plan to ultrasound Sugar on Monday! Day 40! Yeyyyyy!

Tami

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Yes Gypsy is the one I AIed and she is due in June. And then Cali just didn’t settle with the others and she’s due May 7th.
No AIing is not that hard. What you saw was called LAP AI. That has a MUCH better success rate then the way I do it. I was kinda in the air about that way. The main reason being that I don’t trust any of these vets here to sedate goats. I pretty much don’t use any vet here unless it’s certain death and it’s a last ditch effort to save them if you get what I mean on My trust of vets here lol there is a new guy that is doing lap AI a bit more south then me, but I don’t know what he charges and since he’s new I’m going to sit back and wait till he gets any learning curves he might have out of the way then I’ll probably think more on it. It would be awesome to do because there’s some very expensive semen that is from REALLY good bucks that I would hate to not take. And also that opens the door to buy embryos.
But I think the way I do it I think is called trans-vaginal AI (???) anyways the goat goes on the stand. I put a speculum in her with a light to locate the cervix. Then I get a straw that has thawed and put it in this gun, it’s like a thin tube if you will, maybe 1/4 the thickness of a pencil and then you go into the cervix and deposit the semen. There’s more to it then that, I’m not sure if you want step by step, I can get into my explaining lol but timing is everything and that is probably the hardest. I think it’s hardest because everyone swears by something different. So far (2 under my belt) as they come out of heat seems to be about best. But then you have some that simply don’t take to AI well. Maybe their normal ovulation is different then the norm or maybe they stress easy, I’m not sure.
And yes I always drool over CountryLineAcres kids too. I love seeing her birth announcements

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Sorry for my late response.
Cool. Hope all goes well with cali's birthing in May and gypsy in June.

Wow that's neat you have had success with AIing. We haven't done that. But there is some great genes I'd love to add to our herd. Just not sure if I'm brave enough to take the chance and try that with a straw. If it didn't take then that money would be lost.
But it would be cool if it worked and then got babies from other lines.

Hope all goes well with your birthing too Carlie.

Here is our latest video of sugar. Plan to recheck her in a few days again but I'm pretty sure she's pregnant!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I’m sorry, I started to reply 3 times but got side tracked and then my ADD kicked in (or maybe older age? Lol)
Yes defiantly bred! If I were to just guess I would say 2. There for a bit it looked like there was something in each black mark. But most definitely babies. The last time I did Gypsy I was still unsure so got some for sure open does on the stand and tried them. They didn’t have anything close to those black “sack” areas. I did look all over for some bladders and couldn’t find those either lol maybe they had peed before hand. But I’m pretty sure even if one were to get the bladder you wouldn’t see those little grey things in there like your getting.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Thanks Jessica for your comments on the last ultrasound. Sorry for my late reply.

When is your Cali due? Maybe you told me. But I forgot.

Carlie when is your due dates in May? How many are birthing in May on yr farm?

I’m going to start a thread soon as Rey is due around June 19.

Ok here is the ultrasound we took yesterday of sugar. I am positive I saw three. And at one point thought I saw a fourth but not sure I got on video the fourth.

I plan to ultrasound again toward end of the wk. maybe Friday.

Let me know what you both think ok?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I think 3 too! You could defiantly see 3 little guys (no girls!) there for a bit. But did you see that first one on the top swimming along! So cute. How far along is she now?
Cali is due on the 7th so any day now. As long as she goes before Friday I’ll be happy. It’s going to be so hot Friday and then drop back down :/

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Yikes! I’m just shocked both my doe’s appear to have triplets!!! The year of three! Lol

Yes! I did see the top one swimming! lol. Such a cool thing to ultrasound and see swimming babies!!!

Did you really see only guys!? Lol. I told my daughter, Jessica has to be kidding!!

Sugar is 50 days I think on Thursday. I’m going to ultrasound her on Friday I think.

Oh I need to check your farm kidding thread! I wonder if Cali had her babies!? Hope all goes well!!

161 - 180 of 266 Posts