Best way to freeze milk?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Zelda, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009
    I'm gonna freeze some milk for winter. Need ideas on what type of container, etc?

I'd like to be able to put it in a ziplock and then maybe freeze it in a plastic bin so it makes nice blocks instead of funky shaped packages? Maybe maybe?

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

I freeze mine in the quart ziplock freezer bags.
    I lay them flat in the freezer until they are frozen, then i stack them on top of each other :)

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i freeze colostrum in quart size freezer bags, im sure milk would be easy to do the same with.
    beth

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    For my use I freeze in 1 and 2 qt plastic juice bottles....for someone else, I freeze in 1 qt ziplocs , lay flat to freeze then they can be stacked.

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I usually freeze in quart size plastic containers but I like your ideas of using ziploc freezer bags. I'm going to use that instead. :)

6. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009
    How come y'all use quart bags? Is it based on how much milk you are getting?

I was using gallons and freezing a half gallon per batch - my goat is giving 3/4 gallon per day milking once a day.

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Personally, I use quart size bags for a friend, her little one does not go through much milk and it's easier to use up a quart as opposed to a gallon :wink:
    For my use, I use 2 qt containers as most of my cheese recipes call for 2 qts to 2 gallons of milk.

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Because I have one little goat milking now. She is a FF and is tapering down some more because it's fall and she wants to be bred. :roll:

9. Molly&Monica

Molly&Monica New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Loma, CO
    I froze my extra milk in ice cube trays and then turned them out into gallon bags after they were frozen. The unused colostrum (she only had one kid) I froze in quart ziploc baggies.