The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new at this meat goat business. What is the best way to sell my goats when they are ready? Is the it better to advertise and sell to individuals or take them to sale?

·
14,615 Posts
You can do well at the sale barn IF they go the week before an ethnic holiday. Ours takes a 10% cut, which isnt unreasonable considering I dont have to haggle with prices or have drive by customers out of the blue.
Any advertising you can do; get the word out. Even if you dont go to shows you can sponser division championships, donate to raffles & last but not least, support 4h & FFA.
And get yourself a GoatSpot decal.;)
Welcome to the forum!

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
For some holidays the Muslims need the most perfect unblemished animal they can afford. That means no disbudding and no castrating. Check out the different holidays so that you have an idea of what your market might be.

·
14,615 Posts
It took a few years to get our name out there. Most of it is word of mouth.
Only a few each year are exceptional as far as shows are concerned; where we dont always bring home the blue or red but when you get to the top 3 or so in a big class people start to notice.
We're pretty much sold out for this season. Here's the kicker; when you get to know other breeders you can always refer inquiries & visa versa.
We always carry business cards to hand out & leave at feed stores, the vet, anywhere applicable. We have a magnetic sign on truck doors that can be read a good 50 feet away.
Re; raffles, I bought lots of tickets & our farm name kept getting called.
People start to recognize you especially if you are in a supportive role.

·
Registered
59 Posts
personal conatct

Go to a flea market or other venue with your sale goats and a handful of business cards. Especially if there is an immigrant population represented at the market. Even if you don't sell anything that day, you have handed your business card to the population that is used to eating goat meat in their everyday menus. Keep in mind --at least in my experience--different cultures prefer different ages and weights of animals.

Of course this only works if you are willing for people to come to your farm.

I weigh the goats and sell by the pound. That way we both KNOW how much the goat is worth.

Hillbilly Livestock

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
For some holidays the Muslims need the most perfect unblemished animal they can afford. That means no disbudding and no castrating. Check out the different holidays so that you have an idea of what your market might be.
I have heard this before and I have had people come to my farm to buy goats that were looking for this kind of animal, but my experience is they are unwilling to pay a premium for an "unblemished" goat. Which makes them tire kickers in my book regardless of their religion. I see the same thing at the sale barn. They are sitting ringside presumably to buy goats, but they won't bid enough to outbid the floor buyer. Also, some people will come to the farm to buy goats that have no idea how they are going to turn a living animal on the hoof into an edible piece of meat.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Go to a flea market or other venue with your sale goats and a handful of business cards. Especially if there is an immigrant population represented at the market.

I weigh the goats and sell by the pound. That way we both KNOW how much the goat is worth.E]
The flea market is a good idea. One thing you should keep in mind however... Theoretically, if you are selling by the pound, your scale should be certified by the state. I've weighed goats right in front of buyers before, but I tell them my scale is not certified and I am selling the goat by the head.

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
You're right about many of the Muslims Tim. I actually "blemish" mine on purpose and keep them in the Mexican and Russian market if at all possible. Cinco De Mayo is my money time here. 8 week old milk-fed kids are pretty much pure profit.

·
Registered
155 Posts
There's a Muslim holiday At the end of November-beginning of December for 40-120pnd. Goats.
Im selling mine at the arthur sell barn where i got $2.12 a pound, its better of u make sure they sell your goats separate to where u get more money.
However my cousin had some muslims Come to his house wanting to skin the goat there and build a fire and everything.
To me i would just rather sell it at the auction, i get better money and sometimes the goat has a better opportunity to go to a better home.

·
14,760 Posts
We look at what the prices are bringing at auctions around us, then list them on craigslist. If the boys don't sell before auction we take them to auction.

·
Registered
155 Posts
We look at what the prices are bringing at auctions around us, then list them on craigslist. If the boys don't sell before auction we take them to auction.
That's a good way, i will probably do that now.....but what i ment was its better having the goat slaughtered in a regular meat house like a cow then ppl cutting their throats and roasting them on a fire limb by limb :/

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I am new at this meat goat business. What is the best way to sell my goats when they are ready? Is the it better to advertise and sell to individuals or take them to sale?
That is going to depend on how many you have and how far you have to trailer them to the sale barn. Selling off farm is better if you have a high enough demand because you don't have any expenses as far as hauling them to the sale barn and you can also control the price to a point. Consider breeding your does to kid so the kids hit 3 months in time for the Easter market. Easter is a good time to hit the sale barn with 30 pound kids. Prices are good, there is no cost to you since they are still nursing mom, but you will be docked if they weigh in at 50 lbs or more. Christmas kids are also good since it requires out of season for a lot of breeds.

Another option if you have a significant (what is considered significant is probably going to vary from association to association, however) number of does is to check out local and state goat associations. It could be that the associations form a kind of cooperative to sell everyones kids to a processor, thereby assuring you of a certain price that has been negotiated beforehand.

If your herd numbers 100 head or more, you may also have the option to strike a deal with a local processor to sell your kids directly to them. Google goat meat processors to see if that is an option.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i dont know where you live but if you live near new holland pa. your goats will bring big bucks from muslim buyers if you sell them near theire holidays. i never saw so many goats in my life!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
It depends on what time of year I sell them. Easter kids usually bring at least $2.00 a pound. I don't know about Christmas kids, I haven't been able to hit that market yet. If I sell in July, August and the first part of September, I'm usually giving them away. So far sales in February are usually $1.50 a lb for the 60 lb range - higher if the weight is higher. My area does not have a large amount of goats, however, it is more cattle and sheep here.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts