Best weaning age?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by AimeesGoats, Nov 10, 2020.

1. AimeesGoats

AimeesGoats New Member

Sep 21, 2020
    United States
    I have 2 kids, they are 2 months old (Born September 3) and they don't drink from their mom that often anymore. They will try every once in a while, but mom will kick them off and walk away. I give my goats grain and timothy hay every morning, alfalfa at night, and the kids eat the grain and the hay with the other goats.

I'm taking this as a sign that they are getting up to the age of weaning? Also, how long does it take until the goats can go back into the pen with the other goats? If anyone could help me out, that would be great!

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can you just leave them with mom for another month? I'm not sure what you mean about putting them back with the herd. Have you had mom and kids separate from your herd since birth?

goatblessings likes this.

3. AimeesGoats

AimeesGoats New Member

Sep 21, 2020
    United States
    How long should they be weaned for?

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If you can go 12 weeks, that is good. You can wean at 8 weeks if they are eating and drinking.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  5. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    As far as putting back with mom - she may or may not allow them to nurse..... I have one doe that will allow it up to 8 months or so. You can tape her teats, and milk her out to prevent mastitis if she is a high producer. It also makes a difference between bucks and does. I find the bucks can be weaned a bit earlier, the does later. If bucks I would keep them on for at least 10 weeks if they are eating well and gaining. Does, at least 12 weeks.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    3 months old is a good time.

AimeesGoats and GoofyGoat like this.