Best wormer?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kelebek, Aug 25, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ok - so I am looking for a wormer that is NOT herbal that will kill the most. I have ivermectin plus injectable - but am thinking more for the other parasisites.

I have heard safeguard - what would you all reccommend?

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Well I was going to recommend herbal but since you said no............

Back when we were still having problems trying to find the right herbal we did end up having to use chemicals(just fyi if you are interested, we have found an herbal that actually works) I used safeguard with good success, but I think that is because my goats had not been wormed chemically, therefore the parasites wouldn't have been resistant. Most of the goats I treated at 3x the recommended doseage for 3 days, which was recommended to my by members on the forum. I had a few that I had already wormed because of problems I was having with them, they got wormed with a single dose and it worked on them just as it worked on the ones that got the 3x doseage.

Another really good wormer is Valbazen, Valbazen is a broad spectrum wormer and it worked even better than Safeguard. Due to the fact that it is not widely used, there is hardly any resistance to it. It cannot be used on pregnant does though.

3. Nigie Girl

Nigie Girl New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    CT
    I was also going to say herbal (Hoegger's herbal wormer) but as you said not to I would say Moxidectrin Quest wormer. My vet says that it is the most powerful as goats are starting to be resistant to ivermectins. It is VERY strong though and should be used with caution. Follow the label when you buy it (even if the lbs are for horses). I bought mine at Blue Seal. I actually had to take a cc out of the wormer gun and "split" it into two parts because my goats are nigerian dwarfs.
    Hope this helps!

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Forgot to mention, I have 2 lactating and 3 pregnant does.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    The lactating does can be given valbazen, you just have to throw the milk away for 5 days(kids can have it) For the pregnant does I would use safeguard.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    The only reason that I was saying no herbal - is I have tons of the herbal dewormer - but the goaties HATE the balls that I have to make to give it to them and then to do that constantly instead of a monthly treatment.

Any suggestions??

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Well first off, where/who did you get the wormer from? My goats hate the balls too, but I still force them to eat the balls on the ones that don't eat the wormer. Eventually(it takes a couple times) they get used to it.

I use an herbal wormer from a breeder who is an herbalist, http://www.firmeadow.com Most of my goats eat it, I still have a couple that I have to give them balls but that isn't a problem. It is a wormer that is given weekly and it is the first herbal wormer that I've actually gotten good results from. I think that is because since Kat is an herbalist and actually uses this on her goats on a regular basis, she knows what she is talking about and knows what she is doing.

8. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Safeguard is pretty much worthless as a wormer, except in very high doses since most worms are resistant to it thanks to overuse.

Cydectin is the wormer that tends to work when all else fails. It is labeled as a pour on but should be used orally. It does not kill tapeworms though.

I've also heard good things about Equimax. It kills pretty much everything, including tapeworms.

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have that hoeggerbergs - or what ever it is called - herbal dewormer. I hated mixing it with molasis to feed to them. But I guess that I will try that.

I am not sure that I have a worm overload, but I have 1 nigerian that I have been milking for a month and she was pregnant - gave birth to quads (three dies) and the little boy was pulled as a bottle baby at 6 days and I have been milking her since. She gets hay and then Alflafa / boss on the milk stand twice a day but she seems to be getting to thin and her coat is not looking the best. In the last couple days her milk supply has gone down - but I think that is something else (schedule got mixed up bad this weekend). So I am hoping that it comes back - but I am thinking of drying her up......

Maybe I should stick with the dewormer that I have and then give the ivermectin injectable this weekend - what do you think?

Is it true that you can give a horse dewormer?

10. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I'm with badnewsboers, I think cydectin cattle pour on is one of the best.

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Can that be given to lactating and pregnant does?

12. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    I use horse wormers all the time. You just have to double or triple the dosage.

Cydectin has no milk withdrawal and is safe for pregnant does.

13. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    ivermectin plus has an added flukicide! You dont want to use that unless you know you have liver flukes. The flukicide can be dangerous.

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    where did you learn that the Plus is dangerous Ivy?

safeguard is good for tapeworms but not much else.

I use ivermectin so far with good results.

I dont know much about wormers etc so I can only tell you what I do know which is limited.

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Is the Cydectin a horse dewormer? I am trying to find something that I can get locally, as I would like to deworm this weekend when I give vaccines.

16. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    With the hoegger's herbal, we never had any luck with that and besides, the goats hated it. Since we started using Kat's wormer, the girls are brighter eyed, their coats look better, and they are milking better and holding weight better.

17. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Cydectin is a cattle wormer.

18. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    stacey - do you use the ivermectin plus? or the regular ivermectin? Do you use it monthly or only quarterly or ?????

What do you all use for cocci besides Albon?

Thanks
    Allison

19. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We use Sulmet for cocci, I had been told by a breeder that Albon is ineffective, and another breeder friend of mine told me that her vet said(she has a good vet) that Albon causes irreversible damage to a goat's rumen. I cannot say if that is true or not, I've only used Sulmet for cocci.

20. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I like Valbazen because it is so broad-spectrum. Mostly we use it on younger kids as the dosing for big goats can get to be a lot. (1cc per 10 lbs. I've also read 1cc per 25 lbs.)

Ivomec, we like. Our goats are not resistant to it. We do not overload on dewormers though. We take a fecal sample in and go by that or just deworm in the spring and fall. We use it orally though as that was recommended to us by many people. I avoid needles when possible. :)

My aunt (a vet tech) told me in one of her classes she learned that pour-on dewormers were bad for goats. It messed up their nervous system or something like that. I'll double check with her but we both do not use pour-on dewormers, just because.

I agree with Sarah. The herbal dewormer from Fir Meadow is the BEST we've ever used. I need to get my goats back on that as it's just the best. The goats look so good when they are on that. We are able to just mix a little in their goat ration for the day, they don't even really notice it and if they do, they get used to it. You give it once a day for three days and then once a week after that. Works wonderfully!