The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love small town newspapers and since I live in meat goat country, there is a lot of stuff in my local newspaper about goats. I just had to share Windmill Willy's piece:

Falling Livestock Article 001.jpg

Attachments

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My guess is because he didn't properly confine his cow. I know here loose livestock on the roads is a common problem. I have even called the Sherriff after I kept seeing goats loose due to a downed fence. The owner needed to come out and fix his fence. If someone hits your goat, you get to fix their car. It is the owner's responsibility to restrain your livestock. I do think though charging someone with manslaughter is a bit much since he did not intentionally cause the man's death. But then again the laws are different in Brazil.

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ranch partner who use to own a business in Mexico just told me being in a car accident is a crime. You should have been in control of your car.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
True...this is one of those things though that I think is a very individual thing...if it was not usual for the cow to get out, or say a car ran into the fence and the cow got out....then wandered, ya know what i mean? there are so many scenarios!

But if it's known they are always out....that'd be different!

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The rancher I called the Sherriff on, I kept having to stop to scare his wild Boer goats back to the other side of the fence over and over again. After a few months of this I wondered if he was even around to know there was a fence down. His fence was in really bad shape too, entire thing needed to be replaced. My ranch partner just stepped over it to free a buck from the fence so it could join the rest of the herd.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Wow....is the guy still alive?
No, he died at the hospital, and I think his wife tried to sue the hospital for not treating his internal injuries in time, even though there was nothing they could do....

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow....is the guy still alive?
There are a lot of absentee land owners around here. A lot of them live elsewhere and have other jobs and just come out to their land to hunt, or work livestock. I have a friend who lives a few miles down the highway from me but has goats on land on a different highway. If you aren't around and just letting your livestock roam the property grazing as they wish, you may not even be aware there is a problem. That is why I called the sheriff. When we stopped to chase the goats back over the fence and saw what bad shape that fence was in and that it was not the first or even second time I had seen his goats on the wrong side of the fence, I decided it was time to take action. Even the sheriff said he didn't want to hit a goat. After that I never saw goats on the road around that area again, so I am guessing they were able to track down the owner and he moved them so they would not jump the fence anymore.

LOL...S'ok...I have nothing better to do right now...laid up with a pulled muscle in my back...:rolleyes:
Hope you heal quickly.

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, wow, I would have a coronary not visualizing my animals every day....how can you keep track of health issues that way??
Boer goats, Spanish goats, and Angora's are the most common breeds near me. I cannot drive east or west without seeing herds of Boers grazing. Those kids will be taken to market once they get to the right weight. These ranchers don't care about health, just profit.

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 22 Posts