The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as some of you might know I still live with my parent's, there are 7 of us in this house! It gets stressful. So my husband and I are finally going to be able to get out on our own, with out me selling all my animals! :)

A property came up for sale a mile down the road from my parents house. (about a mile and quarter from my goat barn) It has a shed and a small building on it, septic, water and electric hook up.! It's 3.1 acres. A few problems with it are the neighbors like to streak :( it doesn't have a drive way and they are asking about 5,000 more then we want to spend- my dad thinks they will take less since they paid about half of what they are asking for it.

We found a trailer not to far away that is priced at $900. We haven't saw it yet, but we know it needs a lot of work- which is what we wanted. My dad is a carpenter, and has hoarded stuff over the years so he has a lot of extras laying around. We plan to go look at it this afternoon, but he is planning on pretty much gutting it. My mom thinks we can get it for $500 or less because it has been for sale for a while.

We are going to be borrowing the money from a family member :)
I am insanely happy about the thought of having our own place, especially something with so much land! One of the first things I want done is fence the entire property in, my parents think I am crazy but its on a state road, which people fly on, I don't want to take the risk of my son getting out there some how ( he will have a chain link play area) or the dog we will be getting. I have been looking at German Shepard's but they are hard to find around here, so the hunt continues.

Anyways so for the long post but I am excited :) What do you think would be the most economical way to fence the property? I think when we borrow money I want to borrow enough to pay for fencing too. I hope I will be able to cut most of the wooden posts and buy the metal ones used. I was thinking chain link or woven wire. :D

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
How exciting!! Congrats! and being near to mom and dad is always a plus..close, but on your own...way cool!! as for fenceing herei s Texas the cheapest is what we call field wire..its like goat wire but way cheaper..might not be as strong, but handles well here...my kids put a fence in out front yard when the chicken kept getting out in the road...its cute..they used trimmed limbs and goat wire :D tree limbs are free

best wishes!!

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
Woven wire would probably be a little cheaper. Better to do quality fencing.

That is wonderful about your new adventures. Good luck!

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Good luck with your new place! If you are getting an older trailer, just make sure the wiring is good/redone. A friend of mine bought an older trailer and it had bad electrical wiring in it, one day she came home after taking her daughter to school and the trailer was on fire :(. The firemen sourced the cause to bad wiring in the walls going to the heater.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I am going to go with woven wire and a row of barb wire on top. I found some for 150.00 for 330ft :)
I hope to find some used T-posts and paint them, and cut the wooden ones to cut down on the cost.

We are planning on taking out all the wiring and plumbing and replacing it :) That is defiantly a scary experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts