Big Cut on Little Kid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kornhypknotic, Jul 8, 2009.

1. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    This is going to be kind of an odd topic because I'm not actually at the farm right now and I can't see the wound. I'm going on the word of the person I put in charge who is very reliable.

Today Nugent (a 2.5 month-old wether) was discovered with a very fresh 4-square-inch wound on his flank. It's as if he had his skin and fur had been peeled off. The wound is not deep (0.5cm) but it's long and wide.

I told my helper to clean it with betadine daily, bandage it as best she can (it's in a pretty awkward place), change the bandage twice daily for the first three days, and give him 1cc penicillin for at least a week. It's not infected and she caught it almost as soon as it happened (couldn't find the missing piece of skin or what caused it).

Do you think he may need stitches? Is there anything I missed? :worried: the poor kid :tears:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If it isn't very deep....I would leave it open to the air and not bandage it.....using blue spray and keeping it clean... should do the trick...it will dry up faster ......Make sure... you give a tetnus shot...
    Continue the penG...

To bad you couldn't get a pic of it.....I am guessing it isn't deep.....Stitching it... will be hard ...because there is nothing there... to stitch....unless ..it is cut down deep into the tissue....If it is only... a flesh wound... the kid should be OK :hug:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wouldnt bandage it -- I would spray blu-kote on it and let it be and keep an eye on it. THe blu-kote works like an antibiotic (no penicillin needed) and also is a healing agent for wounds. Works great. I suggest you get some if you dont have it.

4. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    But the flies are getting in it :worried:

We have it . . . but we don't use it for any wounds this big :shrug: just on broken scurs and tiny scrapes . . . you can use it on large wounds like this?

5. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Yes u can, and from some of what I have seen the blu-kote should discourage the flies.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with ...Jason...it does discourage flies...and dries it quicker.....Without a pic... I am guessing ..of what it looks like....if it is just skinned and not deep ...just a big shallow patch....it probably looks worse than it is......Keeping it open ..will allow quicker healing ....

Also you can get a fly spray called Catron IV ... from your vet..I am not sure if there are other places that carry it... it keeps the flies off.....works well...and it can.. be sprayed on wounds...... :wink: :greengrin:

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I agree with leaving it open and spraying with blu kote. I would also make sure he has the penicilian for ten days. Has he had a tetnus shot?
    beth

8. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Thanks everyone! I will let her know :grouphug:

Yes, he's up to date on his tetanus (thank God!). I told her to walk the pasture where it happened looking for the place where he got snagged . . . I hope she can find it and fix the problem or this may be happening more :worried:

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome... :grouphug: ..I hope ..she can find the culprit as well.....