big eater

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by countryboy, Dec 22, 2009.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    We have a four month old buckling that can EAT. Is there such a thing as eating to much?

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, I want to say yes but no. First of all, is he breeding anyone? The bucks need more food during breeding season because they are so busy :wink:

What kind of goat is he? You do not want him to get FAT.

3. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    No mam, he is not breeding yet. He is four months old. At the moment he gets a most a cup of grain daily. He eats alot of hay. During the day he eats. At night the street light shines right on his hay rack, and guess what he is doing, that's right eating. I let him out of the yard to exerise and he goes off in the brush eating.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Forage and hay are great for a constant eater...the 1 cup of grain he gets is plenty, though do offer him some baking soda just in the case he stretches his belly too much.

At 4 months he's growing yet so I would let him eat his fill of the plant matter..you can limit his hay to half a flake in the am and the other half at night with browse in between.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Have you given a CD&T shot ...it will protect from over eating disease.... :wink: :greengrin: