The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
merryoaks
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to breed Spruce for a May kidding next year. My dairy goat weight tape says she is 60 lbs. but I think she is more than that. The reason I doubt the accuracy of the tape is because she is Boer/Alpine. She is 23" tall and 10 months old. Her cousin was bred accidently by Spruce's father (Boer) and kidded easily with no complications at 15 months. She has milked very well this year. Spruce is stockier than my other goats. I think with proper feeding she would do fine. The second picture is her next to her mother Goat Mammal Dog breed Working animal Goat-antelope

Eye Working animal Goat Horn Fawn

What do y'all think?

Attachments

·
merryoaks
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She probably won't get to much taller. Only 2-3" shorter than her yearling 1/2 sister who is also 1/2 Boer.

·
merryoaks
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
She should be old enough and if you think she is close to her full size you can breed her. She just looks really small next to her mama...IMO
Her Mama is a big doe. Full Alpine. It is hard to tell though how big she will get.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I heard that standard size goats should be 80 pounds at breeding, but since I raise minis I could be wrong. IMO she is on the small side, but it's hard to say absolutely based off those two pictures. At 10 months, she is at least old enough to be bred.

·
merryoaks
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going to try to weigh her on the scale if a can pick her up

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
That sounds like a good idea. How big was her sire? My boer cross is probably abnormal but at 8 months she is bigger than her registered alpine dam. She looks small too me.

I have also heard full sized dairy goats should be 80lbs and boers should be 100lbs to breed. So in either case she seems small to me. Hopefully a scale can tell what her actual weight is! Best of luck!

·
Registered
209 Posts
On mine, they are just about the same size except they are boer kiko cross. I put them in with the buck, and if they are too young to breed, then they won't. If they do get pregnant then hopefully they will do fine. But most of mine don't breed at that size. I don't really know why either. But I have had five who's pregnancies and births were successful.

·
merryoaks
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had 2 accidental breedings last year and my goats kidded at 15 and 11 months they both did well but i don't want to put her in any danger.
My Boers are all very short

·
merryoaks
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That sounds like a good idea. How big was her sire? My boer cross is probably abnormal but at 8 months she is bigger than her registered alpine dam. She looks small too me.

I have also heard full sized dairy goats should be 80lbs and boers should be 100lbs to breed. So in either case she seems small to me. Hopefully a scale can tell what her actual weight is! Best of luck!
This is her sire. He was pretty small IMO.

·
Super Moderator
14,812 Posts
She does seem a little short but.....it could be the pic but looks to be decent in the hips. Its hard to tell not having her right in front of you but just know that while she is growing if bred she will be trying to grow and grow some kids as well. What are you planning on breeding her to??

·
merryoaks
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
She does seem a little short but.....it could be the pic but looks to be decent in the hips. Its hard to tell not having her right in front of you but just know that while she is growing if bred she will be trying to grow and grow some kids as well. What are you planning on breeding her to??
I weighed her and she is only 60, guess she just seemed heavier. I was planning on breeding her to a 9 month old Alpine. Do you think I could breed her to a Nigerian in her current condition?

·
merryoaks
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think we are gonna let her put on some more weight then see about breeding her.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts