Big enough to breed?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RachelDawson, Jun 30, 2020.

1. RachelDawson

RachelDawson Active Member

Mar 8, 2019
    Stanford IL
    We have a 2 year old boer doe, she’s on the small side. She’s probably 80 pounds. Is she too small to breed? We have a full blood non registered boer buck we’re using this fall. He’ll by like 9 months at the time. I’ll attach some pictures but I don’t know if she’s too small, her Sam was a big beautiful doe and her sister is probably 120 pounds or more

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    That is very small for 2 years old. That would have to be at your own discretion. Most people I know will wait until at least 100lbs.

Is she thin or just structurally small? She could possibly be stunted.

3. RachelDawson

Mar 8, 2019
    Stanford IL
    She’s structurally small. She had a rough start to life, she got tetanus when she was 6 months old and didn’t grow after that for awhile and then took off again growing a year ago

4. RachelDawson

Mar 8, 2019
    Stanford IL
    She’s not fat but she is definitely not thin either

5. CountyLineAcres

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Sorry to hear that! Poor girl.

Did you weigh her with a scale or with tape?

You’re right. She is at a moderate weight. I have heard of some commercial breeders breeding at 80lbs with no issue. Does do continue to grow until 3-4, but since she’s already 2, she’s already done the majority of her growing.

6. RachelDawson

Mar 8, 2019
    Stanford IL
    yeah she had a rough few days. We vaccinate everyone now.

we did the tape. The only scale we have is a human one so the only weigh to weigh her is to weigh ourselves and then hold them and re weigh snd she’s Too heavy for us to do that

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I find the tape is not accurate on boers.

Do you know of anyone who may have a bigger scale? A trusted friend, maybe a vets office to get an accurate weight?

She may be heavier than 80 lbs.

CountyLineAcres likes this.
  8. RachelDawson

Mar 8, 2019
    Stanford IL
    I can’t think of anyone with a bigger scale. The vet would charge and my parents wouldn’t pay just for a weight on her.

Last year when we took a 4-H weather to the fair he was 79 pounds at weigh in. And she is around the same size as him, a little taller and longer but he was also pretty fat and she isn’t fat or thin

9. RachelDawson

Mar 8, 2019
    Stanford IL

I don’t know if it matters but the weather is a boer Pygmy mix

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Boer Pygmy mix, yes, that makes a huge difference.

If you do breed her, I would go with a smaller breed than a boer buck.

11. RachelDawson

Mar 8, 2019
    Stanford IL

The weather is the boer/pgymy mix. The doe is full boer, 50% registered.
    It’s either breed her to our boer buck or not breed her. We aren’t buying another buck

12. CountyLineAcres

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    It’s a catch-22. You could breed her and maybe take a risk, or you could cull her and potentially take a loss.

If there’s a chance that her growth is genetic, you’ll have to decide if you want to have that trait continued in your herd.

Like Pam said, she could be closer to 100lbs than the tape says.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    toth boer goats and Jessica84 like this.
  13. RachelDawson

Mar 8, 2019
    Stanford IL

We might breed her. I wouldn’t think it’s genetics. Her full blood sister from the same breeding is a normal size

toth boer goats likes this.
  14. CountyLineAcres

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Unfortunately, siblings don’t inherit the exact same genetics. In our experience, we’ve had a few cases of does weighing 120lbs by 12 months while their twin was only 110lbs by 24 months. No stunting occurred, just slow growing. The faster growing siblings sometimes had slower growing offspring.

If your buck is known to have faster growing offspring, then they could make a good pair

15. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    A idea if you really want a fairly accurate weight on her. Buy 4 cheap scales and get a light weight platform for her to stand on and put a scale under each corner. If it the scales don’t zero out with the platform on then you will have to wrote down all 4 weights to minus from the weights you get from what weights you get with her on. But just toss her on and add up the 4 numbers.
    Honestly though with my first timers I don’t throw them on the scale. I just look at them and If they look like they are going to be able to push a 8-10 pound kid out then I breed. If not I hold back. I’ve had some oops breedings before that a 90 pound doe spit kids out like it was nothing because she was nice and wide and I’ve had 120 pound narrow does that were nightmares during kidding.
    And when in doubt if I’m still on the fence about to breed or cull, because at some point it just is t financially smart to hold her back any more I ask myself is it worth it? Does she have lines or qualities about her that I feel I NEED to have. Usually these are with ones that had a high cocci load and they are not genetically small but sometimes I chance it and pull my hair out and sometimes I just say no it’s not worth it and cull. For those that I do breed though I make sure I am there when they kid

CountyLineAcres likes this.
  16. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Are there any other bucks in your area, maybe a Kiko, you could breed her to for her first time?

17. RachelDawson

Mar 8, 2019
    Stanford IL
    There’s other bucks we could get, in just 16. It would be my parents choice and they aren’t gonna buy another buck. My mom isn’t a huge fan of breeding as is.

18. RachelDawson

Mar 8, 2019
    Stanford IL
    This is the doe I’m talking about and her full blood sister behind her. I’m thinking I might be off on her weight guessing. Her sister is at least 120 ( she went to the vet last year for pneumonia and got weighed )

We don’t know exactly the genetics behind our buck. His parents looked well made but he isn’t registered.

Attached Files:

19. CountyLineAcres

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    You could be accurate! I’ve had several occurrences of sisters and brothers looking extremely close in size but were actually 20-30lbs apart. It still blows my mind lol.