Big gooey goat boogers...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by FunnyRiverFarm, Sep 21, 2008.

1. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    For the past couple weeks, one of my does has been getting these giant boogers...the mucus is completely clear--it does not look like yellow/green infected mucus. She does not have a runny nose or a crusty nose...just occasionally, when she snorts, a large (grape-sized) ball of snot comes flying out. It seems to bother me much more than it bothers her--she usually just licks the booger off and goes about her business (eww!). She has not shown any signs of being ill. Her temp. is normal, eyes and ears are normal, breathing is normal, she is active and alert, has a good appetite, etc. Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this? I thought maybe allergies or some of the crazy weather we've had lately?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well I do know that I dont have a cold but I do get a little snotty in the morning myself. :shrug:

That and when it is really dusty it is the body's response

3. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yeah, she could just be more sensitive than my other doe. I'm sure you're right--it's probably nothing--but it weirds me out because I have never had a goat with this issue.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Sorry, I was just :ROFL:

I am supposed to be doing my homework for my ethics class, and got busted reading this post as I was laughing so hard! The whole mental picture is priceless - slurp - yummy!

Anyway, more then likely it is allergies. Just keep an eye on her and if everything else is normal - no harm no foul!

5. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yeah, it's pretty gross...the first time I witnessed her doing this I think my mouth hung open for a couple minutes...like...omg, I cannot believe you just...ewww! She has wiped them on me before too...

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Ohhhh :slapfloor: That's really gross, but kinda funny! I have no idea, if she doesn't seem to be sick then i'm sure she's alright.

7. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    The title to this thread I couldnt pass it either and had to know! Maybe put some Vicks on her nose or a little VetRx? Sometimes mine get what I calls Hay Boogers but if I try to pick them off they sometimes bleed just a smidge. Not a good thing when you are ready for a show.
    But it sounds like yours is (are) just blowing them out....do not stand there with YOUR mouth open! :ROFL:

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    watch out for the boogie, woogie, woogie ..........man................ he doesn't have to so snotty about it................... :ROFL: :ROFL:

9. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    EEEEWWWW! That bacon and egg sandwich all of a sudden doesn't taste that good anymore :slapfloor:

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

11. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I might have to try using some Vicks on her, nancy d. I don't know what else to do. They are seriously the biggest boogers I've ever seen...and they're really hard to clean up because they're so slimy I just end up smearing them everywhere.

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I would try the vicks also...Vet Rx would be better if you could get it....sounds gross, my pygmy buck has the same "problem" that ick he blows out and then rubs it on my littlest buck is just icky...I go to pet the little guy and come across dried snot...ewwww, The weather being cooler at night seems to have brought on Hank's snotty nos as he's fine otherwise..the Vet Rx has helped him a good bit.

13. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Thank you, liz. I'll probably get some Vet Rx if the boogers persist. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one going through this...lol...

14. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Funnyriver thats where long shirt sleeves come in handy hehehe you just wipe those boogs off onto them. Or you could bring a nice soft hankie out with you!?
    Seriously tho, I try to remember to always carry a couple of paper towels out with me. Its either their noses or mine, or I need to use them for something for sure. :applaud: (this icon loks like a nose pick)