The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Myotonic and Nigerian dwarf goats
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know that knots usually form after Cdt, but are the normal painful? A few of my goats developed big painful knots after their cdt booster.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you ever had a tetanus vaccination? The medicine literally hurts while being injected and the arm is sore as the dickens for a day or two. Kind of the same difference.
🤦‍♀️ I didn’t even think about that for some reason 😂 sorry about the dumb question

Reactions: NigerianNewbie

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you ever had a tetanus vaccination? The medicine literally hurts while being injected and the arm is sore as the dickens for a day or two. Kind of the same difference.
Is it normal for it to be a fist sized bump though?

Reactions: NigerianNewbie

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,091 Posts
Is it normal for it to be a fist sized bump though?
I'm not sure about how large or small the size of the knots can be. That does sound big. I have read that jiggling the tent of skin before letting it go, after the vaccination, helps spread the medicine around and makes the lump smaller. Sorry your goats are going through a rough time with the vaccination site.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how big is your fist? lol

mine had a bump about the size of a medium size strawberry
Going by fruit size, I’d say it’s about a big strawberry 😂
I probably over exaggerated that or it’s gone down by then, since it isn’t fist size anymore I’ll get a better measurement when i go back out

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Some can get pretty big, depending on the reaction.

When they are ripe(soft) you can either try to squeeze it or lance it and flush it out.
I did end up using a needle on one that was soft and a decent size, I got most of the pus out too, should I give the goat la200 to fight off infection or just wait and give her some vitamin B complex paste and some pro bios?
Edit: I don’t have any saline solution but I’m sure I could run and get some, I used a smaller needle to pop it then squeezed the pus, pus was a yellow color and has some chunks in it (🤢) How would I flush it out? Do I just inject saline into it ? Also just to note, this was the cdt injection site, def not CL i Also wrote down injection sites for everyone thankfully 😉 I mashed until it was just blood coming out, and no more puss was coming out.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did end up using a needle on one that was soft and a decent size, I got most of the pus out too, should I give the goat la200 to fight off infection or just wait and give her some vitamin B complex paste and some pro bios?
Edit: I don’t have any saline solution but I’m sure I could run and get some, I used a smaller needle to pop it then squeezed the pus, pus was a yellow color and has some chunks in it (🤢) How would I flush it out? Do I just inject saline into it ? Also just to note, this was the cdt injection site, def not CL i Also wrote down injection sites for everyone thankfully 😉 I mashed until it was just blood coming out, and no more puss was coming out.
(Bump, sorry just wanting to get this question answered since I’m going to TSC today and can get saline 😉)

·
Registered
791 Posts
If you just drew the pus out with a syringe there isn’t really any way to flush it. What I do is get a scalpel and poke a little hole and push all that crap out. I usually don’t flush it (except for the one I DID have a fist sized lump) but the hole gives a good size spot to get it all out.
I have never done any antibiotics, for the most part the infection is walled off in that small spot and getting the stuff out usually resolves the issue.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you just drew the pus out with a syringe there isn’t really any way to flush it. What I do is get a scalpel and poke a little hole and push all that crap out. I usually don’t flush it (except for the one I DID have a fist sized lump) but the hole gives a good size spot to get it all out.
I have never done any antibiotics, for the most part the infection is walled off in that small spot and getting the stuff out usually resolves the issue.
Alrighty! Thanks 😊 I’ll keep some antibiotic spray on it and squeeze it every now and then to make sure any new pus it gone!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It needs to be lanced to be able to flush it with a weak iodine/water solution for a few days.

No need for injection antibiotics.
thanks ! I cut a small incision with scalpel, when flushing I just squirt the iodine-water mixture in the incision right?

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks ! I cut a small incision with scalpel, when flushing I just squirt the iodine-water mixture in the incision right?
There’s only one incision in it, would I cut another to let the solution drain out ?

·
Administrator
85,630 Posts
Yep, just squirt it right up in there a few times.
There is no need to cut again, it isn’t a deep abscess, just remove any scab and it is open again.

With vaccination abscesses, it only takes flushing it for about 4 days.

For the first few times before flushing, squeezing out any extra pus helps with healing.

Don’t make the iodine / water too strong, it can cause swelling.
Just a light tea color helps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts